If you're in the mood for a satisfying meal, look no further than the delicious Mediterranean Fish Stew. This seafood feast is packed with flavor and nutrition, making it an ideal meal for any dinner table. Not only is this stew perfect for paleo and keto diets, but it's also an excellent way to incorporate seafood into your diet while still indulging in a hearty meal.
Mediterranean Fish Stew
The star of this dish is tender halibut that will melt in your mouth with every bite. This paired with shrimp and clams is delicious, but add in the tomato and garlic and you will have a flavor-packed and aromatic meal that is ideal for serving guests.
This pairs great with toasted paleo or keto bread on the side for dipping into that rich broth.
Serves: 8 Prep Time: 15 min Cook Time: 35 min
• 1 onion, sliced
• 2 garlic cloves, minced
• 1 red chili, finely chopped
• 2 tablespoon tomato paste
• 2 lbs tomatoes, roughly chopped
• 1 cup white wine
• 1 ½ cups fish stock
• 4 strips of orange zest
• 2 ½ lbs skinless halibut fillets, cut into chunks
• 1 lb clams, fresh in the shell
• 1 lb large raw shrimp, peeled and deveined
• A handful of fresh parsley, chopped, for garnishing
• Cooking fat
• Sea salt and freshly ground black pepper to taste
How to Make Mediterranean Fish Stew
Slice the onion, then put it along with the cooking fat into a large stockpot or Dutch oven. Cook over medium heat for 5 minutes, until softened. Mince 2 garlic cloves and finely chop 1 red chili. Add them to the pot and cook for another minute, until fragrant.
Roughly chop 2 lbs of tomatoes and add them, along with 2 tablespoon of tomato paste, to the pot. Bring to a boil and then reduce to a simmer. Simmer for about 10 to 15 minutes. Then pour in 1 ½ cups of fish stock and add 4 strips of orange zest. Bring to a simmer.
Cut 2 ½ lbs of skinless halibut fillets into chunks. Add them to the pot and let simmer for 5 minutes. Add 1 lb of fresh clams in the shell and 1 lb of large raw shrimp, peeled and deveined. Cook for another 5 minutes.
Add 1 cup of white wine and simmer for another 10 minutes, until most of the liquid has evaporated. Season with sea salt and freshly ground black pepper, starting with 1 teaspoon of each. Continue seasoning to taste, adding more salt or pepper as needed.
Garnish with a handful of chopped fresh parsley and serve
More Stew Recipes
Hungry for a comfort food meal? Add one of these tasty stew recipes to your menu this week. Take a moment to check them out and bookmark your favorites!
- Quick and Creamy Chicken Stew
- Nicoise Chicken Stew Recipe
- Bison Stew Recipe
- Simple Lamb Stew Recipe
- Creamy Mushroom Stew Recipe
- Hearty Crab Stew Recipe
Mediterranean Fish Stew
- 1 onion sliced
- 2 garlic cloves minced
- 1 red chilli finely chopped
- 2 tablespoon tomato paste
- 2 lbs tomatoes roughly chopped
- 1 cup white wine
- 1 ½ cups fish stock
- 4 strips orange zest
- 2 ½ lbs skinless halibut fillets cut into chunks
- 1 lb clams fresh in the shell
- 1 lb large raw shrimp peeled and dev- eined
- A handful of fresh parsley chopped, for garnishing
- 2 tablespoon cooking fat
- Sea salt and freshly ground black pepper to taste
- Begin by slicing one onion.1 onion
- Heat a large pot and add cooking fat. Cook the sliced onion over medium heat until softened, which takes around 5 minutes.2 tablespoon cooking fat
- Mince 2 garlic cloves and finely chop one red chili pepper. Add them to the pot and cook for an additional minute, until fragrant.2 garlic cloves, 1 red chilli
- Roughly chop 2 lbs of tomatoes, add 2 tablespoon of tomato paste, and stir. Bring the mixture to a boil and then reduce the heat to a simmer. Allow it to simmer for approximately 10-15 minutes.2 tablespoon tomato paste, 2 lbs tomatoes
- Pour in 1 ½ cups of fish stock and add 4 strips of orange zest. Let it come to a simmer.1 ½ cups fish stock, 4 strips orange zest
- Cut 2 ½ lbs of skinless halibut fillets into chunks. Add them to the pot and let them simmer for 5 minutes. Next, add 1 lb of fresh clams in the shell and 1 lb of large raw shrimp, peeled and deveined. Cook for an additional 5 minutes.2 ½ lbs skinless halibut fillets, 1 lb clams, 1 lb large raw shrimp
- Pour in 1 cup of white wine and let it simmer for another 10 minutes, until most of the liquid has evaporated. Season with sea salt and freshly ground black pepper, starting with 1 teaspoon of each. Keep seasoning to taste, adding more salt or pepper as neede1 cup white wine, Sea salt and freshly ground black pepper
- Garnish the stew with a handful of chopped fresh parsley and serve.A handful of fresh parsley
- It is critical to ensure that the seafood reaches a minimum internal temperature of 145°F for food safety.
- Use any preferred white fish in place of halibut if desired.