“Stuffing” is a pretty misleading name at this point, because the food it describes gets enjoyed in all kinds of ways that don’t involve putting it inside something else. This Paleo recipe is good for either application, and you can cook it in two different ways:
- Just the stuffing: cook it all in a baking pan and eat or do whatever else you want with it.
- Directly in the bird: stuff it into a turkey or chicken (or pumpkin, or squash, or butterflied pork tenderloin…) and cook it right inside the cavity.
The instructions assume that you’re going to be cooking it separately, but if you’re going to cook it right in an edible container, just put it in the bird before Step 6 and carry on.
Because it’s based on sausage instead of bread, you could put this into a pumpkin or a big squash to make a complete meal like that, or get the flavors really going in a chicken or turkey for an extra-special meal. Or you could just eat it on its own with a side salad or some extra roasted vegetables. The ingredients list calls for Italian sausage, but any kind of sausage would be fine if you’re not huge on Italian; pick your favorite and go for it.
Sausage, Cranberry, and Apple Stuffing Recipe
Protein: 47g / %
Carbs: 36g / %
Fat: 39g / %
Values are per portion. These are for information only & are not meant to be exact calculations.
- 1 lb. Italian sausage, casings removed
- 2 cups mushrooms, minced
- 1 cup fresh cranberries
- 2 apples, peeled, cored, and chopped
- 2 celery stalks, thinly sliced
- 2 shallots, finely diced
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 2 tbsp. fresh sage, finely chopped
- 1 tbsp. fresh rosemary, finely chopped
- 1 tsp. fresh thyme, chopped
- 2 eggs, lightly beaten
- Cooking fat
- Sea salt and freshly ground black pepper
- Preheat Oven to 350 F.
- Melt some cooking fat in a skillet over medium-high heat, and cook the shallots, celery, and garlic until soft, about 5 minutes.
- Add the sausage and cook 6 to 8 minutes. While the sausage cooks, break it apart with a spatula.
- Transfer the sausage and onion mixture to a baking dish.
- Add the mushrooms, apple, cranberries, eggs, herbs, and salt and pepper to taste. Mix everything well.
- Place baking dish in the oven and bake for 35 to 40 minutes.