Nothing beats the comfort of a simple beef pot roast at dinnertime. This recipe showcases the richness of the beef with a mixture of salty and slightly sweet additions to elevate the flavor. If you want a foolproof recipe for a pot roast, that is also paleo-friendly, this is the one for you!
Are you looking for a comforting and satisfying meal that is also paleo-friendly? Look no further than this simple beef pot roast recipe. With just a few simple ingredients and a bit of time, you can have a delicious and hearty dinner on the table.
This cut of meat is perfect for slow cooking, as it becomes tender and flavorful as it cooks. When the pot roast is done, it will be fall-apart tender and infused with the rich flavors of tomato juice, balsamic vinegar, raisins, and olives. Serve it with your favorite paleo-friendly sides, such as grilled paprika brussels sprouts or garlic herb butternut squash, and enjoy a comforting and delicious meal.
Simple Beef Pot Roast
Serves: 4 Prep Time: 30 minutes Cook Time: 3 hours 30 minutes
- 2-pound beef chuck roast
- 2 teaspoons ground cumin
- 1 onion
- 6 garlic cloves
- 1 cup tomato juice
- ⅓ cup balsamic vinegar
- ½ cup raisins
- 1 cup black olives
- Cooking fat
- Sea salt and freshly ground black pepper
Not sure what fat to use? Check out our guide to paleo cooking fats.
How to Make a Beef Pot Roast
Preheat your oven to 200°F.
Give your roast a generous coating of cooking fat, then season it with a sprinkle of sea salt and freshly ground black pepper, and dust it with cumin.
Heat a skillet over high heat and brown the roast on both sides.
Once browned, remove the roast from the skillet and reduce the heat to medium. Add additional cooking fat if needed and sauté the onion and garlic until the onion is soft about 5 minutes.
Pour in the tomato juice, and balsamic vinegar, and add the olives and raisins to the skillet. Bring the mixture to a boil and let it simmer until the liquid has reduced by half
Place the chuck roast in an oven-proof pot and pour the sauce over the roast.
Place the pot in the oven and cook for about 3-3 ½ hours, or until the meat is extremely tender and can be easily pulled apart with a fork.
Once done, allow the meat to rest for at least 30 minutes before slicing and serving it with the delicious sauce.
More Paleo Roast Recipes
If you love the comfort of a good pot roast, then you'll want to check out these other delicious recipes. Whether it is beef or pork you are roasting, these are sure to be devoured!
- Bacon Wrapped Roast Beef With Sweet Potato Mash Recipe
- Pork Roast with Dijon Glaze Recipe
- Dutch Oven Beef Roast Recipe
- Balsamic Roast Beef Recipe
- Beef Chuck With Braised Vegetables Recipe
Simple Beef Pot Roast Recipe
- Preheat your oven to 200°F.
- Rub the roast with cooking fat. Season with sea salt and freshly ground black pepper to taste as well as the cumin.2 lb beef chuck roast, 2 teaspoon ground cumin, 4 tablespoon Cooking fat, Sea salt and freshly ground black pepper to taste
- Heat a skillet over a high heat and brown the roast on both sides. Set aside, reduce the heat under the skillet to medium, add some cooking fat if needed and fry the onion with the garlic until the onion is soft, about 5 minutes.1 onion, 6 garlic cloves
- Pour in the tomato juice, balsamic vinegar and add the olives and raisins, then bring to a boil and let boil until the liquid is reduced by half.1 cup tomato juice, ⅓ cup balsamic vinegar, ½ cup raisins, 1 cup black olives
- Place the chuck roast in a oven proof pot and pour the liquid over.
- Place in the oven to cook for about 3 to 3 ½ hours, until the meat is very fork tender.
- Once cooked, let the meat rest for at least 30 minutes before carving and serving with the sauce.
- To make this keto-friendly, remove the raisins from the recipe and limit the amount of sauce when served.
- Using a Dutch oven helps save cleanup time by being able to sear the meat, make the sauce, and roast all in one pan.