Jerk chicken is great, but not everyone has a grill, or the time to cook it all after a long day. For a busy day-friendly version of the recipe, try this slow-cooker version instead. It’s got all the classic spices: allspice, cardamom, ginger, and of course plenty of chili peppers. A little pineapple juice is a more flavorful alternative to sugar or other sweeteners.
But the problem with slow-cooker jerk chicken is that you can’t get that beautiful blackened outside…or can you? (spoiler: you totally can). It’s actually pretty easy to get even without a grill. Just take it out of the slow-cooker and pop it under the broiler for a few minutes. It’s not cheating if it’s still delicious!
This recipe is also a good one for tight grocery budgets, because you can tweak it to fit whatever chicken parts are available at the store. Use any combination that you like – legs, thighs, drumsticks, breasts…even if you have a whole chicken, just cut it up and use that. Serve it with cauliflower “rice,” roasted peppers and onions, or whatever other side dish you like.
Slow-Cooked Jerk-Style Chicken Recipe
Add to Meal Plan
- 4 lbs chicken pieces, bone-in and skin-on;
- 8 green onions, coarsely chopped;
- 2 habanero chilies, stemmed and seeded;
- 1 tbsp. fresh ginger, sliced;
- ½ cup pineapple juice;
- 5 garlic cloves, peeled;
- 1 tbsp. fresh thyme, minced;
- 2 tsp. allspice;
- 1/4 tsp. cardamom;
- 1 cinnamon stick;
- 1 to 2 limes, sliced;
- Sea salt and freshly ground black pepper;
- In a food processor, combine the green onion, habanero, ginger, garlic, thyme, allspice, cardamon, pineapple juice and salt and pepper to taste.
- Pulse until well-blended and smooth.
- Add the chicken to a slow cooker, and generously rub with the sauce.
- Cover and cook on low for 4 to 5 hours.
- Preheat your oven broiler.
- Remove chicken from the slow cooker, and place on a baking sheet.
- Broil the chicken in the oven for 10 to 12 minutes per side, until lightly charred, and serve with fresh lime slices.