Recipes for comfort food are inescapable as you browse online for the next dinner inspiration. You’ll see carrot cake with whipped cream, followed by loaded sweet potatoes and who knows what will slide by next as you are dutifully scrolling down. Most of them are non-Paleo recipes to be sure, but that gives us, Paleo cooks, the chance to show off our cookery skills and surpass the other recipes with creativity and unique flavor combinations.
The next time you score a bundle of green beans, two pounds to be more exact, into the slow cooker they go – washed and ends trimmed, of course. Then a good amount of bacon enters your trusty skillet, aromas arise, and finally the rest of the ingredients join the beans in the slow cooker. Skip the processed sugar and use honey instead, if you even need it at all. Forget the Worcestershire sauce and sprinkle on some coconut aminos. And go for your favorite BBQ sauce with Paleo-approved ingredients, homemade or not.
While you are impatiently waiting (this dish does smell amazing!) for your green beans to finish slow cooking in the BBQ sauce, we can only suggest to fill those last 40 minutes with a preparation of balsamic glazed pork chops and a pecan and endive salad to complete the meal. Get ready to dive in, soak up the compliments and be prepared for an encore next week!
Slow Cooker BBQ Bacon Green Beans Recipe
Protein: 12g / %
Carbs: 46g / %
Fat: 9g / %
Values are per portion. These are for information only & are not meant to be exact calculations.
- 2 lb. green beans, ends trimmed
- 8 bacon slices, sliced
- 1 onion, diced
- 1/4 cup BBQ sauce
- 1/2 cup homemade ketchup
- 2 tbsp. raw honey (optional)
- 2 tbsp. coconut aminos
- 2 tbsp. apple cider vinegar
- 2 tsp. hot pepper sauce (optional)
- Sea salt and freshly ground black pepper
- Place the green beans and diced onions in a slow cooker.
- Cook the bacon in a skillet 4 to 5 minutes, then add the bacon to the slow cooker. Pour any remaining bacon fat into the slow cooker too, up to 1/4 cup.
- In a bowl, combine the BBQ sauce, ketchup, honey, coconut aminos, vinegar, hot pepper sauce, and season to taste. Add this to the slow cooker and mix everything together.
- Cover and cook on low 3 to 4 hours, until beans are tender.
- Mix everything gently again and serve.