Chicken cacciatore is a hunter-style Italian dish in which the chicken is braised or slowly cooked, in a delectable sauce of tomatoes, bell peppers, mushrooms and onions. And while the cook time is long, 6 to 8 hours, it can be prepared in as little as 15 minutes, so you can get dinner ready before you head off to work in the morning. If you hear a little voice inside your head demanding “What about the garlic bread?”, know that you are not alone. Here is a remedy, um, recipe, for that – oven roasted garlic cabbage.
Once the chicken is nicely tucked away, you will have nothing more to worry about. However, if it so happens that you need to add extra moisture to the dish while cooking, we suggest adding 1/2 cup of chicken stock for a boost of flavor and nutrition. Towards the end of cooking, or upon serving, feel free to add a spoonful of capers or a generous amount of kalamata olives for an unbelievable taste.
If you absolutely love the taste of chicken cacciatore, but don’t want to plug the slow cooker in all day while you are out and about, why not try hunter-style chicken instead? It takes less than an hour from start to finish and the ingredient list is nearly the same. Whichever recipe you choose, you can take the unconventional route and opt for Paleo noodles to serve alongside the chicken, just to keep the meal Italianesque.
Slow Cooker Chicken Cacciatore Recipe
Protein: 41g / %
Carbs: 17g / %
Fat: 4g / %
Values are per portion. These are for information only & are not meant to be exact calculations.
- 4 boneless, skinless chicken breasts, sliced
- 2 bell peppers, sliced
- 8 oz. mushrooms, sliced
- 1 onion, sliced
- 2 cups diced tomatoes
- 4 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 cup tomato sauce
- 2 sprigs fresh thyme
- 2 bay leaves
- Fresh parsley to garnish
- Cooking fat
- Sea salt and freshly ground black pepper
- Season the chicken breasts to taste with salt and pepper.
- Heat a skillet over medium-high heat and melt the cooking fat.
- Add chicken to the heated skillet and brown on both sides, 2 to 3 minutes per side.
- Transfer the chicken to a slow cooker and top with bell pepper, mushroom, onion, diced tomato, tomato sauce and garlic.
- Place thyme and bay leaves on top and season to taste.
- Cover and cook on low 6 to 8 hours, or high about 3.5 – 4 hours.
- Sprinkle with fresh parsley before serving.