In the colder months, our slow cooker is working overtime, as we truly enjoy coming home in the evenings to a wonderful meal of braised, shredded beef that is deliciously falling apart and tender. Maybe it is just us, but the simplicity of it all makes us wonder why people even go out to eat when it is so effortless to eat well at home? All the flavors in the world are available to us nowadays, so let’s take the best of what we know and toss it into the slow cooker!
Cuban-style beef has no secrets, none that we are aware of anyway. Unless you consider that the key to a successful ropa vieja is a delicious grass-fed flank steak. When consuming meat, always source the best that you can find and afford, and remember that organic does not mean grain-free. That being said, you can still eat Paleo, even when you can’t afford grass-fed meat. If you are using your slow cooker, you can even choose cheaper cuts of meat and simmer them long and slow for tender and juicy bites. Buy in bulk, support a CSA, purchase direct from a farmer – there is always something you can do to support good farming practices and your bountiful health.
Add some Paleo sour cream, fresh cilantro, steamed vegetables, cauliflower rice, or your favorite greens on the side. As long as you are in good company, this dinner will most certainly go down a treat.
Slow Cooker Cuban-Style Beef Recipe
Protein: 59g / %
Carbs: 19g / %
Fat: 42g / %
Values are per portion. These are for information only & are not meant to be exact calculations.
- 2 lb. beef chuck roast or flank steak
- 4 garlic cloves, minced
- 2 cups tomato sauce
- 2 bell peppers, sliced
- 1 onion, sliced
- 1 green chili, minced
- 2 tbsp. tomato paste
- 2 tsp. fresh cilantro, minced
- 1 tbsp. ground cumin
- 1 cup beef stock
- Cooking fat
- Sea salt and freshly ground black pepper
- Season the beef to taste with sea salt and freshly ground black pepper to taste.
- Melt cooking fat in skillet over high heat, brown the beef on all sides, 3 to 4 minutes total.
- Place the beef in a slow cooker and add all the remaining ingredients on top.
- Cover and cook on low 6 to 8 hours.
- Remove the beef from the slow cooker, let rest 10 to 15 minutes then shred using forks.
- Place the beef back to the slow cooker, mix everything and serve topped with fresh cilantro.