Paleo, low-carb, keto and gluten-free, – this updated version of slow cooker butter chicken with aromatic spices has it all! If you have been on the hunt for a recipe that serves 6, fits in one pot, cooks while you go to work, and tastes absolutely amazing, then you must give it a try, provided that Indian flavors suit your palate. It is not too spicy, depending on how much chili powder you add. Start with less, then add as much as you (and your guests) can handle.
In terms of preparation, mince, dice and grate the garlic, onion and ginger with precision and passion. This brings all ingredients into a harmonious one. Notice that we have used boneless, skinless chicken breasts in this recipe. Follow that guidance the first time you prepare this dish. Next time experiment with chicken thighs and a side of sauteéd garlic broccolini. You can thank us for the tip later.
In the non-Paleo, conventional world, you would serve this beautiful, creamy dish with a side of naan bread or rice. Not happening here! Unless you seek qualified alternatives. There are some simple naan recipes floating around in the ether; seek, hit enter and you shall discover new ways to make Paleo breads. You will find ingredients such as blanched almond flour, coconut flour, tapioca flour and coconut milk in naan bread. Heat up your skillet and make them as you would pancakes. Cauliflower rice makes for an enjoyable low-carb side dish too.
Paleo Butter Chicken Recipe
Protein: 73g / %
Carbs: 12g / %
Fat: 20g / %
Values are per portion. These are for information only & are not meant to be exact calculations.
- 3 lbs. boneless, skinless chicken breast, cubed
- 2 onions, diced
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 3 tbsp. ghee
- 2 tbsp. fresh ginger, grated
- 2 tsp. chili powder
- 1/4 tsp. ground coriander
- 1/4 tsp. turmeric
- 1/2 tsp. cinnamon
- 1/2 tsp. ground cumin
- 1 28oz. can diced tomatoes
- 1 cup chicken broth
- 1/4 cup almond butter
- 2 tbsp. fresh cilantro, finely chopped
- Sea salt and ground black pepper to taste
- Combine onions, garlic, ghee, ginger, chili powder, coriander, turmeric, cinnamon, cumin, salt, pepper, and tomatoes in the slow cooker and mix well.
- In a separate small bowl, whisk together the almond butter and chicken broth. Once mixed, pour into the slow cooker slowly, while continually whisking together with the mixture from step 1.
- Add the chicken, cover and cook on low 4-5 hours until the chicken is cooked through and tender.
- Once done, remove the chicken from the slow cooker and cut into bite-size pieces.
- Using a hand blender, puree the sauce until smooth; you do not have to remove the sauce from the slow cooker to do this.
- Return chicken back to sauce and mix.
- Sprinkle with fresh cilantro before serving.