If you’ve ever thought, or heard, that vegetables are boring, here is the recipe to prove everyone wrong. Broccolini is not broccoli, let’s first clear that up. Nor is it a baby broccoli, or a younger, more tender version. It is in fact, a plant all its own. Broccolini is a hybrid – a cross between the well-known broccoli and Chinese broccoli. It has a more mild taste and is absolutely best when sautéed, though we also adore it grilled, steamed or roasted. Once you discover broccolini, you will quickly find new and exciting recipes, likely adding it into your meal plans too.
Stalks of broccolini are longer and thinner than that of the broccoli you already know, but this doesn’t change their nutritional benefits. As a member of the cruciferous family, it will provide you with abundant amounts of Vitamin C (provided you eat it raw, and you can!), Vitamin K1 and folate. You’ll also love broccolini because it is rich in beta-carotene, which is converted into Vitamin A in your body – think healthy skin! It has a lot of fiber which is a prebiotic, extremely beneficial for the digestive system, and it tastes amazing too. Not boring yet, right?
As this is simply an appetizer or scrumptious side dish to adorn the meal, let us suggest some protein main courses to serve it with: roast duck with herb ghee, cilantro-lime salmon, or garlic and herb lamb chops.
Sautéed Garlic Broccolini Recipe
Protein: 3g / %
Carbs: 12g / %
Fat: 14g / %
Values are per portion. These are for information only & are not meant to be exact calculations.
- 1 bunch broccolini
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 tbsp. dried onion flakes
- 1/4 cup ghee or cooking fat
- Juice and zest of half a lemon
- Sea salt and freshly ground black pepper
- Bring a saucepan filled with water to a boil.
- Add the broccolini and boil 3 to 4 minutes.
- Drain hot water and rinse broccolini with cold water.
- Melt ghee in a skillet over medium heat; then add garlic, lemon zest and the dried onion flakes.
- Cook until soft and fragrant, 2 to 3 minutes.
- Add the broccolini to the skillet and toss everything until well coated.
- Continue cooking until the broccolini softens. Drizzle with lemon juice, season to taste, and give everything a good stir.
- Cook another 2 to 3 minutes and serve immediately.