Here’s the bad news: your cauliflower broke out of the fridge and ran away to the Caribbean.
Here’s the good news: you get to go, too. Well, at least your mouth does.
Roasted cauliflower is typically appreciated as a hearty winter dish, but in this recipe, cumin, cilantro, and fresh lime juice brighten it up with the flavors of summertime. And you can even add some color to match by branching out beyond the ordinary white variety of cauliflower. Most grocery stores carry at least one type of colored cauliflower: check around in the produce section for green, yellow, or even purple varieties.
The different colors of cauliflower also deliver various different nutrients. Like other orange vegetables, orange cauliflower gets its color from beta-carotene, the plant form of Vitamin A. And the purple varieties contain the same antioxidants you’ll find in other purple foods like blueberries. Even the ordinary white kind is very nutritious, though, so even if the cauliflower rainbow just isn’t in the cards, you’re still getting a healthy dose of Vitamins C, K, B6, and B9.
Even better, all that good stuff is easy and quick to cook up: a squeeze of lime juice, a dash of spice, and then just a few minutes to soften up the cauliflower in the oven. Pull it out, chop some avocado over the top, and enjoy!
Cauliflower with Lime and Cilantro Recipe
- 1 head of cauliflower, chopped;
- Juice of 1 lime;
- 2 cloves garlic, minced;
- ½ cup fresh cilantro, finely chopped;
- 1 tsp. cumin;
- 1 avocado, diced;
- Sea salt and freshly ground black pepper;
- Preheat your oven to 425 F.
- In a bowl, combine the cauliflower, lime juice, garlic, cilantro, cumin, and season with salt and pepper to taste.
- Place the cauliflower mixture in a baking dish and bake for 15 minutes in the preheated oven.
- Top with chopped avocado and serve.