You can sear a spicy cilantro and lime tuna steak in a matter of minutes, or you can opt for a quick-to-fix avocado and tuna salad that can be prepared ahead of time, stored in the refrigerator and easily be transported to work for lunch at your desk. Of course, you can also take it for a hike out in nature too, as it has plenty of protein to get you up that hill and back down again.
If you can cook a bigger batch of tuna ahead of time, then all the power to you! Though if you are short on time, pots and pans or storage space, it is perfectly alright to buy tuna in a can. Use caution though and read the labels. Search for allergen information on the back of the package and look at where the fish was caught, was it packed in water, brine or oil (usually sunflower, canola or soybean oil), or are there added ingredients that you normally wouldn’t consume.
If your day is expected to be busy and rushed and you need all the energy you can get, naturally, you will want to add a hard-boiled egg, or a handful of nuts for longer lasting power. This salad can act as a stand-alone meal, but if you desire something lighter on the side, why not try a salad combo? In this case a cucumber and carrot salad not only looks nice, it tastes splendid too.
Avocado, Cucumber And Cilantro Tuna Salad Recipe
Protein: 70g / %
Carbs: 20g / %
Fat: 49g / %
Values are per portion. These are for information only & are not meant to be exact calculations.
- 2 cups cooked and flaked tuna
- 1 English cucumber, diced
- 1 to 2 avocados, diced
- 1/2 red onion, sliced
- 1/4 cup fresh cilantro, minced
- 2 tbsp. fresh lemon juice
- 1/4 cup extra virgin olive oil
- 1/2 tsp. paprika (optional)
- Sea salt and freshly ground black pepper
- In a small bowl combine the cilantro, lemon juice, olive oil, and season to taste with salt and pepper.
- In a larger bowl combine the tuna, cucumber, avocado, and red onion.
- Drizzle the vinaigrette over the salad and toss everything gently.
- Sprinkle the paprika over the salad if using, and refrigerate until ready to eat.