“Green” might not be the first word that typically comes to mind when you think of a casserole. “Beige” would probably be more representative of the typical casserole experience. But this recipe really is green – a beautiful, deep, velvety green – and it tastes as good as it looks.
Instead of a big pile of noodles, the recipe substitutes broccoli and spinach – and you can really get free and easy with the amount of spinach here, because it wilts down to almost nothing in the pan. Got the end of a bag? Just throw it all in! It’s great for you anyway. The chicken and bacon here give the whole thing a nice rich flavor, and the creamy sauce is a dairy-free alternative to cream that still delivers the same comfort-food value. This would be good with baked sweet potatoes if you’d like some carbs with that, or maybe with soup if you’re looking for a lower-carb option.
Bacon, Broccoli, and Chicken Casserole RecipeAdd to Meal Plan
- 2 chicken breasts, cut into cubes;
- 2 cups baby spinach;
- 1 head broccoli, cut into florets;
- 6 bacon slices, cooked and chopped;
- 2 garlic cloves, minced;
- 1 tsp. paprika;
- 1 1/2 cups coconut milk;
- 1/4 cup homemade mayonnaise;
- 2 tbsp. fresh chives, minced;
- Cooking fat;
- Sea salt and freshly ground black pepper;
- Preheat your oven to 350 F.
- Season the chicken pieces to taste.
- Melt some cooking fat in a skillet over a medium-high heat, and cook the chicken until cooked through, about 5 to 6 minutes. Set aside.
- In a bowl, combine the coconut milk, mayonnaise, garlic, paprika, chives, and salt and pepper to taste.
- Whisk until well blended.
- In a large bowl, combine the chicken, bacon, broccoli, and spinach.
- Drizzle the sauce over the chicken mixture and mix gently until everything is well covered.
- Pour into a baking dish, and cook until everything is tender, about 20 to 25 minutes.