In this skillet dish, broccoli florets and wild mushrooms are combined with a spicy-balsamic sauce that works well with almost any main course. The benefits of this dish are numerous – all ingredients are fairly low-cost (especially if you source your mushrooms from truly wild sources); the dish is easy and quick to prepare; and, all of the ingredients are very adjustable. If you don’t love mushrooms, try doubling your broccoli and substituting wild mushrooms with a more neutral flavor option. You can also switch out the broccoli for other brassicas, like cauliflower or bok choy. It makes this dish a great option for busy weeknights when you don’t have time for a lot of prep and need to use ingredients you already have on hand.
Sourcing wild mushrooms can be hit or miss depending on the time of year, where you are located, and your experience finding them. A more conventional option is to check out your local farmer’s market or the produce section of a locally-owned grocery store. If wild mushrooms aren’t an option, try cremini or button mushrooms in their place. Another component of this dish that can be adjusted is the spice – red pepper flakes add a substantial bit of heat, so increase or decrease these based on your preferences.
There’s a few dishes that work well for serving with this skillet. Try a traditional pork and mushroom plate like these Old-Fashioned Slow Cooker Pork Chops – you can get things started in the morning and have minimal prep at dinnertime. To serve this dish with a vegetarian twist, try serving with eggs prepared to your preference.
Balsamic Broccoli And Wild Mushroom Skillet Recipe
Protein: 6g / %
Carbs: 12g / %
Fat: 8g / %
Values are per portion. These are for information only & are not meant to be exact calculations.
- 1 lb. broccoli or broccolini
- 1/2 lb. wild mushrooms, sliced
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 4 tbsp. balsamic vinegar
- 1/4 cup vegetable stock
- Pinch of red chili flakes
- 2 tbsp. ghee
- Sea salt and freshly ground black pepper
- Melt the ghee in a skillet over medium heat.
- Add the garlic and cook 1 to 2 minutes.
- Add in the broccoli and cook 4 to 5 minutes.
- Add in the mushrooms and cook another 4 to 5 minutes.
- Pour in the vegetable stock and scrape the bottom with a wooden spatula, deglazing the pan.
- Drizzle with the balsamic vinegar, sprinkle with chili flakes, and toss.
- Season with salt and pepper, then serve.