Mix up the breakfast routine a little with oven-roasted sweet potatoes, juicy sausage, and just a little bit of spice. You could use any kind of sausage for this, but it would be particularly good with something more savory, like chorizo or Italian sausage. Just make sure to get the good stuff; no mystery ingredients and weird fillers! (If a sausage is labeled low-fat, there’s probably something funky going on)
Frying the onions and peppers up with the sausage gives them a great flavor and makes it easy to actually get in those vegetables at breakfast. Low-carbers could leave out the sweet potatoes and just use more of the other vegetables, or replace the potatoes with something else to roast.
Top with an egg (or two!) fried to your particular standards of perfection, and maybe an extra sprinkle of chili powder on top of that if you really like it spicy.
Breakfast Hash With Sausage And Eggs Recipe
Protein: 18g / %
Carbs: 18g / %
Fat: 19g / %
Values are per portion. These are for information only & are not meant to be exact calculations.
- 4 to 8 eggs
- 4 sausages, casing removed
- 2 sweet potatoes, diced
- 1 onion, diced
- 1 bell pepper, diced
- Green onions, sliced (for garnishing)
- 1 tsp. chili powder
- 1/2 tsp. dried oregano
- 1/2 tsp. garlic powder
- 1 tbsp. olive oil
- Cooking fat
- Sea salt and freshly ground black pepper
- Preheat your oven to 400 F.
- Place the sweet potato cubes into a bowl and drizzle with olive oil, chili powder, oregano, and garlic. Season to taste and stir until well-coated.
- Spread the sweet potatoes on a baking sheet in a single layer.
- Place in the oven and roast for 25 to 30 minutes.
- Melt some cooking fat in a skillet over medium-high heat.
- Add onions and bell peppers and cook for 2 to 3 minutes.
- Add the sausages to the onion and pepper and cook until the meat is browned, 5 to 6 minutes. Add the sweet potatoes and stir everything together.
- Remove the mixture from the pan. Add some more cooking fat to the skillet if necessary to cook the eggs.
- Break the eggs into the skillet. Cook until done as desired.
- Divide the potato-sausage mixture among all the plates, and top each plate with a fried egg.
- Garnish with sliced green onions and serve.