Unlike a traditional salad, this dish incorporates some of the most common brassicas, giving this dish an earthy and fulfilling quality. Even better is that this dish resembles more of a potato-salad replacement versus a mixed greens blend, making it a perfect bring-along for a pot-luck or group picnic. Altogether, this recipe comes together quickly (assuming you have all of the ingredients on hand), but definitely consider breaking out your food processor to save some time with the vegetable prep.
For this dish, you’ll be using a certain Paleo replacement that you’ll want to have on-hand before you get started, otherwise your prep time will increase a bit: The homemade mayonnaise, which you can prep to your taste in advance and keep refrigerated until you need it. Also consider the size and texture of the florets you purchase for this meal – since no cooking is required, you might find these a bit too tough. Try using smaller, riper florets, or using broccolini if needed.
While this dish works well as a side, even with the inclusion of bacon, we think pairing this with a heartier protein would really round out any plate. For a picnic-themed meal, try adding a serving of these firecracker baked chicken breasts or this slow cooker pulled beef dish.
Broccoli, Cauliflower And Orange Salad Recipe
Protein: 15g / %
Carbs: 26g / %
Fat: 40g / %
Values are per portion. These are for information only & are not meant to be exact calculations.
- 1 broccoli head, cut into small florets
- 1 cauliflower head, cut into small florets
- 6 to 8 bacon slices, cooked and crumbled
- 2 oranges, peeled and segmented
- 1/2 red onion, minced
- 1/2 cup homemade mayonnaise
- 2 tbsp. fresh lemon juice
- 2 tbsp. red wine vinegar
- ¼ cup extra virgin olive oil
- Sea salt and freshly ground black pepper
- In a bowl, combine the mayonnaise, lemon juice, red wine vinegar, and olive oil; season with salt and pepper to taste.
- Whisk until everything is well emulsified.
- Place the cauliflower, broccoli, oranges, onion, and bacon in a large salad bowl.
- Pour the dressing over and gently toss everything until well combined.
- Refrigerate covered for 30 minutes or more before serving.