Searching for a Paleo chicken recipe that’s simple but delicious? This firecracker baked chicken is super easy to prepare and packs a punch of flavor with a special spicy sauce. This recipe pays homage to the traditional buffalo chicken wings we see all the time at parties – they’d be great, except these non-Paleo wings are almost always breaded and deep fried, not something a health-conscious Paleo eater would want. This variation lets you enjoy the spicy-sweet flavor of buffalo sauce without the extra breaded ingredients. Although the chicken does require some attention during cooking, you can save time by preparing your sauce in advance so you can focus on cooking any side dishes while the chicken bakes.
For this recipe, you’ll need to make a homemade buffalo sauce in advance – store-bought versions vary wildly in their ingredients, and honestly, they’re not the most budget-friendly. There’s also a reason we call this firecracker chicken – there’s a burst of heat from the red chili flakes in this dish. Adjust the amount of these accordingly based on your preferences. If you’re looking for a true buffalo wing replacement, consider substituting chicken wings or drumsticks in place of the more expensive breasts used here – just make sure to adjust your cooking time as needed so you don’t end up with overcooked meat.
For a party-themed plate, try serving with an assorted vegetable plate and extra buffalo sauce for dipping. For a more complex meal, keep the party-theme going by adding a side of grilled sweet potatoes, another dish that’s works awesome with a drizzle of buffalo sauce.
Firecracker Baked Chicken Breasts Recipe
Protein: 25g / %
Carbs: 18g / %
Fat: 7g / %
Values are per portion. These are for information only & are not meant to be exact calculations.
- 4 boneless, skinless chicken breasts
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1/4 cup raw honey
- 1/4 cup homemade buffalo sauce
- 1 tbsp. apple cider vinegar
- 1/4 tsp. red pepper flakes
- Cooking fat
- Sea salt and freshly ground black pepper
- Preheat oven to 400 F.
- Season the chicken breasts to taste on both sides with sea salt and freshly ground black pepper.
- Melt some cooking fat in a skillet over medium-high heat; brown the chicken 2 to 3 minutes per side and place on a baking sheet.
- Place the chicken in the oven and bake 10 to 12 minutes.
- Combine the garlic, honey, buffalo sauce, apple cider vinegar, and red pepper flakes in a saucepan over medium heat.
- Bring to a boil, lower heat, and simmer 4 to 5 minutes.
- Baste the chicken with the sauce and place back in the oven for another 10 to 12 minutes, basting every five minutes on both sides.
- Serve the chicken with the remaining sauce.