Once upon a time, buffalo chicken meatloaf was the rising star of the weeknight meal. It had all the right ingredients, including homemade ketchup, and kids with a spicy tooth absolutely loved it. Tasty as it is, and practical as slices of leftover meat are, meatloaf sometimes gets a bad rap. To reinstate the love for buffalo chicken, we’ve neatly wrapped it up into a classic casserole. A dish that can be made in advance, taken to school or work, shared at parties or enjoyed all alone, one creamy spoonful at a time.
It takes a bit of meal prep, but slow cooker shredded chicken is worth every minute spent not actively cooking dinner. You can refrigerate the results for later in the week, or you can use them this instant to recreate a version of this buffalo chicken casserole. Just be sure to start with 2 pounds, or more, of chicken. Use breast meat if you wish it to be leaner, add in some legs and thighs for more developed flavors. You will also need to pre-cook a spaghetti squash, so get that oven heated up to 400 degrees Fahrenheit, and line a baking sheet with parchment paper for quick clean-up.
Spaghetti squash takes about 40-60 minutes to bake, but it stores well in the refrigerator, covered, for up to 5 days. Use it in the casserole or top it with buffalo chicken meatballs for an easy to prepare dinner.
Buffalo Chicken Casserole Recipe
Protein: 59g / %
Carbs: 23g / %
Fat: 39g / %
Values are per portion. These are for information only & are not meant to be exact calculations.
- 2 lbs. cooked chicken, shredded
- 1 spaghetti squash, cooked and shredded
- 1 onion, diced
- 1 bell pepper, diced
- 2 carrots, diced
- 1 celery stalk, diced
- 2 eggs, beaten
- 1/2 cup cayenne pepper sauce (hot sauce)
- 1/4 cup coconut milk
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 2 tbsp. fresh chives, minced
- 1 tbsp. coconut oil
- Paprika, as garnish (optional)
- Sea salt and freshly ground black pepper
- Preheat oven to 400 F.
- Melt coconut oil in a skillet over medium-high heat.
- Add the onion, bell pepper, carrots and celery to the skillet. Cook for about 5 minutes, or until soft, stirring often so they don’t burn. Set aside.
- In a bowl, combine the coconut milk, hot pepper sauce, garlic, chives, and season to taste.
- In a large bowl, combine the squash flesh, shredded chicken and vegetables.
- Pour in the coconut milk mixture and stir until everything is well mixed.
- Next, add the two beaten eggs and stir again.
- Place the mixture in a greased baking pan.
- Sprinkle some paprika to taste on top and bake in the oven for 25 to 30 minutes, until cooked through.