Chicken breasts slowly cooked for several hours with a handful of spices in nourishing stock, is an utter revelation – why haven’t we thought of it as a kitchen staple before? It is simply amazing and it turns out that the humble and oft used chicken has even more to offer by way of taste/texture than the standard grilling, baking or frying. So get all the ingredients in the slow cooker, it takes less than 20 minutes, and wait and see for yourself what it is all about.
And you will want to cook chicken this way, we know it! This coming weekend is the perfect time to try it out. You can make a protein base of a week’s worth of lunches – for example, you can add it to a Paleo burrito bowl, you can whip up a quick chicken salad with any ingredients that you have on hand and stuff it in a lettuce wrap, it is divine as a topper on BBQ-chicken baked sweet potatoes, add it generously to your cauliflower crust pizza, perhaps with some chunks of fresh pineapple… And don’t forget about the pad thai salad, with the chicken already shredded, dinner will be ready in just a few minutes.
Tips for shredded chicken success: use approximately half a cup of chicken stock, or water, for every pound of chicken; shred the chicken while it is still warm with two forks; experiment with spices or make it “plain” with just chicken and stock, so you can adjust the spices later. Now you can (you must) add slow cooking of chicken to your collection of versatile, repeatable foods.
Slow Cooker Shredded Chicken Recipe
Protein: 39g / %
Carbs: 5g / %
Fat: 12g / %
Values are per portion. These are for information only & are not meant to be exact calculations.
- 4 chicken breasts, skinless and boneless
- 1 tbsp. paprika
- 1/2 tbsp. chili powder
- 1 tsp. onion flakes
- 1 tsp. garlic powder
- 1 tsp. dried oregano
- 2 tbsp. olive oil
- 1 cup chicken stock
- Sea salt and freshly ground black pepper
- Place the chicken in a slow cooker, and lightly brush with olive oil.
- Coat the chicken with all the spices and generously season with salt and pepper.
- Pour the chicken stock in the slow cooker and cook 6 to 8 hours on low, or until chicken easily shreds.
- Shred the chicken breasts with two forks, mix everything, and cook another 10 to 15 minutes on high.
- Serve as the main course, or over a salad.