Stuck for something creative to do with chicken breasts? Try this one-pan stovetop recipe with sweet pears and tangy balsamic vinegar. The tomatoes might seem like a strange addition to that, but give them a chance: they add some solidity and depth to the whole dish and bring it a little bit beyond the typical fruit + balsamic + protein combination.
With the tomatoes, basil, and balsamic, this has almost an Italian flavor, and the pears actually fit into the theme: pears have been part of Italian cuisine since the Romans were recommending them in dessert recipes. You can use your favorite variety of pear for this, or just grab whatever you can get freshest and in season.
The whole thing is cooked in just one skillet, so it’s easy to pull together after work or on a busy evening. Wilt some spinach with a little garlic and olive oil just as the chicken is just finishing, and you’ll have a full meal ready to go.
Chicken With Balsamic Pears Recipe
Protein: 57g / %
Carbs: 33g / %
Fat: 13g / %
Values are per portion. These are for information only & are not meant to be exact calculations.
- 4 chicken breasts, boneless, skinless
- 1 yellow onion, sliced
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- ⅓ cup balsamic vinegar
- 2 to 3 pears, sliced
- 2 cups diced tomatoes
- 4 tbsp. fresh basil, sliced
- Cooking fat
- Sea salt and freshly ground black pepper
- Melt some cooking fat in a skillet over medium-high heat.
- Season the chicken breasts to taste. Brown on both sides, 2 to 3 minutes per side, and set aside.
- Add onion and garlic to the skillet and sauté until fragrant.
- Pour in the balsamic vinegar and cook, stirring constantly, until reduced by half.
- Stir in the pears and tomatoes.
- Return the chicken to the skillet. Lower heat to medium, cover, and cook until chicken is cooked through (about 8 to 10 minutes).
- Top with the fresh basil to serve.