There’s a myth that truly great cooking needs to be complicated. Yes, while it’s impressive to say that dinner took hours to make, or required a gadget that no one has ever heard of, we believe that awesome food and meals come from the basics – quality ingredients and great technique. While this chicken and broccoli dish may not sound that complicated, it’s the kind of dish that works perfectly for quick nights in the kitchen where simplicity is a virtue. This dish also has the benefit of being great for kids. While the boneless, skinless chicken breast may not be the most budget-friendly, you can easily swap out another cut of chicken if needed and adjust your preparation.
While this dish calls for a head of broccoli, you can also make substitutions here to your preference. Broccoli falls into the brassica category, meaning it shares a pretty similar nutritional profile to things like cauliflower, cabbage, and kale. While brassicas are great for their micro-nutrient content, they are frequently high in FODMAPs, so beware if you are prone to issues such as gas or bloating when you eat these kinds of foods.
While this dish works perfectly as a light main course, if you are serving this to children, it may work a bit better to incorporate cauliflower rice or mashed potatoes. This rounds out the dish and helps soak up some of the extra garlic sauce!
Chicken and Broccoli with Creamy Garlic Sauce Recipe
Protein: 18g / %
Carbs: 13g / %
Fat: 12g / %
Values are per portion. These are for information only & are not meant to be exact calculations.
- 2 chicken breasts, boneless and skinless, sliced;
- 1 broccoli head, cut into florets;
- 1 red onion, sliced;
- 4 garlic cloves, minced;
- 1 cup coconut milk;
- 1/2 cup chicken stock;
- 1 tsp. paprika;
- 2 tbsp. ghee;
- Sea salt and freshly ground black pepper;
- Season the chicken breast to taste with sea salt and freshly ground black pepper.
- Melt ghee in a skillet over medium-high heat.
- Brown the chicken on both sides 4 to 5 minutes and set aside.
- Add the onion, garlic, and broccoli to the skillet and cook until soft, about 4 to 5 minutes.
- Pour in chicken stock and cook while stirring and scraping the bottom of the pan.
- Add the chicken back to the pan, pour in the coconut milk, sprinkle the paprika and adjust the seasoning to taste.
- Stir everything well and cook another 4 to 5 minutes.