Chicken often makes a delightful appearance with mashed sweet potatoes and green vegetables. Other times, it comes along in the form of a creamy mushroom and spinach chicken dish. Somehow it always tastes amazing in a filling meal where spinach, sweet potatoes and mushrooms of any kind meet. It could be a soup, a stew or a casserole, or something in between. However you cook it and whatever you call it, just make sure there is enough to share!
As much as we love skillet meals for their quick-cooking ease and simplicity, nothing beats a baked dish where all the flavors can happily simmer together for 20 minutes or more. What we have here, is a marriage between the two, meeting somewhere in the middle. The chicken needs to be spiced and browned in a skillet over medium heat, then it is transferred to a baking dish, only to bring in the diced sweet potatoes for a pre-cooking party. Add the rest of the ingredients to the skillet, stir for a few minutes, then place everything with the chicken in the baking dish. Bring on the chicken stock and coconut milk, along with the baby spinach, stir, bake and wait.
While you are waiting, go ahead and relax if you’ve had a rushed day. However, if you are ready for more food, more fun and more out of life, why not make a quick salad to complement the chicken and vegetables? A creamy cucumber and chive salad suits it nicely. You can even toss the leftovers in the fridge for the following day.
Chicken With Spinach, Sweet Potatoes And Mushrooms Recipe
Protein: 74g / %
Carbs: 25g / %
Fat: 23g / %
Values are per portion. These are for information only & are not meant to be exact calculations.
- 2 lbs. chicken breasts, skinless, boneless and sliced
- 2 sweet potatoes, peeled and diced
- 10 mushrooms, sliced
- 1 red onion, sliced
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 2 cups baby spinach
- 1/2 cup chicken stock
- 1 cup coconut milk
- 1 tbsp. garlic powder
- 1 tbsp. onion powder
- 1 tbsp. paprika
- 1 tbsp. coconut oil
- Sea salt and freshly ground black pepper
- Preheat oven to 375 F.
- In a bowl, combine the garlic powder, onion powder and paprika, then season to taste.
- Season the chicken pieces with the spice mixture.
- Melt the coconut oil in a skillet over medium-high heat.
- Brown the chicken in the skillet on both sides, 2 to 3 minutes per side; then transfer to a baking dish.
- Cook the diced sweet potatoes for 5 to 6 minutes in the skillet over medium heat. Add more coconut oil if needed.
- Add the onion, mushrooms, and garlic to the sweet potatoes and cook for another 2 to 3 minutes.
- Add the sweet potatoes, onion, mushrooms, and garlic to the baking dish.
- Pour in the coconut milk and chicken stock.
- Top with baby spinach, give everything a toss.
- Place in the oven and bake for 18 to 20 minutes, covered. Bake another 10 minutes uncovered.