This mouthwatering tomato and eggplant sauce somehow reminds us of a cross between chicken and eggplant Parmesan. Although you won’t exactly find lightly coated slices of eggplant dipped in an egg wash and almond flour for a slightly fried crispiness and seasoned with dried Italian herbs here. However, we highly recommend keeping that idea in mind for the next time eggplant is in season. What you will find is a dairy-free and low-carb chicken dish with a rich tomato and eggplant sauce. You may be questioning at this very moment, “is eggplant really Paleo?” and if you answered yes, then you are right! Technically a fruit, though it is usually treated like a vegetable because it is very low in sugar, the eggplant is full of insoluble fiber – a wonderful prebiotic for those in need of such.
Eggplants and tomatoes are members of the nightshade family, so if you are avoiding them due to health reasons, this is a recipe you won’t want to indulge in. If it’s just eggplant that you’re avoiding you can get creative and substitute the ever-versatile zucchini instead. When choosing an eggplant, be aware that they bruise easily, and you’ll want to consume them within a day or two of bringing them home. Pick eggplants that are uniform in color, have smooth skin and are heavy for their size. It is okay to go with smaller ones as they are often less bitter with fewer seeds. Test for ripeness by pressing gently into the skin, if it leaves a slight imprint, the eggplant is ripe and ready for cooking.
While this dish is simply amazing on its own, feel free to add a handful of nourishing greens to the plate, or a small pot of cauliflower rice on the side to round out the meal.
Chicken With Tomato-Eggplant Sauce Recipe
Protein: 40g / %
Carbs: 29g / %
Fat: 5g / %
Values are per portion. These are for information only & are not meant to be exact calculations.
- 4 chicken breasts, flattened
- 1 yellow onion, diced
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 5 ripe tomatoes, diced
- 1 eggplant, diced
- 2 cups tomato sauce
- 4 tbsp. fresh basil, minced
- 1/4 cup fresh parsley leaves, minced
- 1 tbsp. dried oregano
- Cooking fat
- Sea salt and freshly ground black pepper
- Heat some cooking fat in a large skillet over medium heat, add the minced garlic and cook until soft, 2 to 3 minutes.
- Add the tomatoes, onion, and eggplant; cook for an additional 4 to 5 minutes.
- Pour in the tomato sauce and fresh parsley; season to taste and give everything a good stir.
- Bring the sauce to a boil, lower the heat, add basil, and let simmer for 15 to 20 minutes.
- Preheat a grill to medium-high.
- Season the chicken breasts to taste with salt, pepper and oregano.
- Grill the chicken breasts on both sides, 4 to 5 minutes each, depending on thickness, until cooked through.
- Serve the the grilled chicken with the tomato-eggplant sauce.