Now is the time to deconstruct an egg roll to create a keto version of a popular take-away food. Pull away the crisply fried egg roll wrapper and toss it aside, scoop out the savory contents and enjoy with chopsticks (forks and fingers make good utensils too). However, making them from scratch is much more fun, plus you can leave out all the questionable ingredients, after all you are on a mission here!
In the time it would take you to order and have hot food delivered to your home, you can cook it yourself for a fraction of the cost – without losing any of that precious egg roll flavor. Here you can skip the soy sauce and use coconut aminos instead, it changes the overall sensation a bit, but trust us, it is something that you can definitely get used to. Coconut aminos are fermented coconut sap combined with salt, then naturally aged. They are reported to boost your immune system and energy levels; they also happen to taste amazing, so we’ll take it as a handy soy and gluten-free alternative any day.
Of course, spring rolls are versatile both protein and low-carb vegetable wise, so if it is chicken that you have on hand, why not try a keto egg roll in a bowl with slow cooker chicken instead of pork? It’s a simple swap that allows you to stay perfectly on track.
Keto Egg Roll In A Bowl Recipe
Protein: 46g / %
Carbs: 19g / %
Fat: 42g / %
Values are per portion. These are for information only & are not meant to be exact calculations.
- 1 1/2 lb. ground pork
- 5 cups cabbage, finely shredded
- 1 cup carrots, shredded
- 1 onion, diced
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 green onion, sliced
- 1 tbsp. fresh ginger, minced
- 1/4 cup coconut aminos
- 2 tbsp. coconut oil
- 1/4 cup beef stock
- Sea salt and freshly ground black pepper
- Heat coconut oil in a skillet over medium-high heat.
- Add the garlic, ginger and onion; cook until soft and fragrant.
- Add the pork to the skillet and cook until browned, about 5 minutes.
- Then add the cabbage, coconut aminos, and beef stock; season to taste with salt and pepper.
- Stir well and cook until cabbage is soft.
- Add the shredded carrots and cook for 2 to 3 additional minutes.
- Transfer to a bowl and serve garnished with green onions.