This warm and hearty breakfast perks up a skillet of eggs with a rich, tomato-based poaching sauce and your choice of sweet or white potatoes (yes, white potatoes are fine if you don’t personally have an issue with them). And bacon, of course. Because all breakfasts are better with bacon.
The first few steps are basically the easiest possible instructions for making your own tomato sauce. Cooking everything else right away in the same skillet cuts down on the number of dishes to wash, so you get the maximum homemade flavor with the minimum possible extra work. After that, just crack in the eggs and let it all cook until it’s done. You could also add any other meat to the recipe, or even some kale or another vegetable at the end for more greens.
This might not be as quick as a grab-and-go recipe, but it’s a great choice for the weekends when there’s a little extra time to cook something special. Think of it as the Paleo version of fried eggs with home fries and ketchup, but all in one skillet, and no need to put up with lousy diner coffee while you dig in.
Eggs In Tomato Sauce Recipe
Add to Meal Plan
- 6 eggs;
- 6 to 8 slices of bacon, cooked and crumbled;
- 1 small onion, roughly chopped;
- 3 garlic cloves, minced;
- 1 tbsp. chili powder;
- ½ cup chicken stock;
- 28 oz. diced tomatoes;
- 2 sweet or russet potatoes, diced;
- Cooking fat;
- Sea salt and freshly ground black pepper;
- Melt some cooking fat in a skillet over medium-high heat, and cook the onion until brown and soft.
- Add the garlic and continue cooking until fragrant.
- Pour in the stock, scraping up the onions from the bottom of the skillet, and add the tomatoes.
- Season with chili powder, sea salt, black pepper, and simmer for 10 to 15 minutes.
- Transfer the sauce to a blender and puree until smooth.
- Melt some more cooking fat in the same skillet.
- Sauté the potatoes in the fat for a few minutes until browned on the outside.
- Pour the sauce over the potatoes and simmer for 10 to 12 minutes to cook the potatoes.
- Crack the eggs directly into the potato and tomato sauce.
- Sprinkle with crumbled bacon. Cover, and cook 10 minutes or until eggs are cooked to your liking.