Homemade teriyaki-style sauce and sweet pineapple chunks add a big punch of flavor to this grilled chicken and vegetables. And the sauce is surprisingly easy to make at home with Paleo ingredients, like substituting coconut aminos for soy sauce. It’s not technically authentic teriyaki sauce (for one thing, it has garlic, which traditional teriyaki sauce wouldn’t), but it’s a lot like the type of teriyaki you might otherwise buy in a bottle from the grocery store, only without the junk.
This would be a fun recipe to make for Paleo kids, since the pineapple and the sauce add sweetness without a huge amount of added sugar.
Any leftover chicken would add a nice touch of teriyaki flavor to a salad or any kind of egg dish the next day. If you like the sauce, you could also make a little extra of that and save it for another day, so you won’t have to deal with mixing it up again. Try it with beef or pork next, maybe on skewers with some different vegetables to keep things interesting.
Grilled Pineapple Chicken Recipe
Protein: 38g / %
Carbs: 25g / %
Fat: 4g / %
Values are per portion. These are for information only & are not meant to be exact calculations.
- 4 chicken breasts, skinless, boneless
- 1 zucchini, sliced
- 1 bell pepper, chopped
- 1 pineapple, peeled and sliced
- 1 red onion, sliced
Teriyaki-style Sauce Ingredients
- ½ cup coconut aminos
- 2 tbsp. white wine vinegar
- Juice of 1 lemon
- ¼ cup fresh pineapple juice
- ¾ tsp. ground ginger
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 1/4 tsp red pepper flakes
- Sea salt and freshly ground black pepper
- In a saucepan, combine all the ingredients for the teriyaki sauce and season to taste.
- Bring to a boil over medium-high heat, lower the heat and let simmer for 5 to 6 minutes.
- Rub the chicken with 1/4 of the teriyaki sauce, and let marinate 30 minutes.
- Preheat a grill to medium-high.
- Grill the chicken breasts for 5 to 8 minutes per side.
- Place the vegetables in a grill basket and grill until soft, 4 to 5 minutes.
- Grill the pineapple for 3 minutes per side.
- Slice the chicken breasts and pineapple, and serve on top of a bed of vegetables, with the remaining teriyaki sauce.