If you’re starting to dive into the intricacies of meal planning for the office, you’ve probably seen the options out there: Preparing simple lunches the morning of, doubling recipes at dinner time and bringing leftovers to work, or buying your lunch ingredients on the weekends and bringing these with you to create on your lunch break. No matter which method you’ve considered, another one that we love to keep in mind is bulk protein prep – that is, preparing a large batch of a simple protein in advance and storing to use throughout your week in a variety of recipes. This simple grilled chicken drumstick recipe is a great example of one to try. Although these chicken drumsticks are delicious regardless of the meal you serve them at, their neutral flavor palette and ease of preparation make them a great option for cooking and storing to add to other recipes throughout your week.
One of the stand-out components of this recipe is the amount of spices used to create a robust yet neutral taste in this dish. We love including spices in our dishes for a few reasons – aside from making things taste a lot better, spices also have other benefits like improving digestion, staving off cravings, and lowering blood pressure. When you prepare this dish, make sure that you are using spices that have been stored correctly and make adjustments to the amounts you use as needed – for example, if you like more heat, adjust that cayenne up as much as you’d like.
If you are preparing this dish to add to lunches, take a look at the Paleo salad options on the site – a quick chop to one or two drumsticks make them a perfect addition to most of the meat-free salad recipes we have.
Grilled Seasoned Chicken Drumsticks Recipe
Protein: 26g / %
Carbs: 3g / %
Fat: 5g / %
Values are per portion. These are for information only & are not meant to be exact calculations.
- 6 to 8 chicken drumsticks
- 1 tbsp. smoked paprika
- ½ tbsp. chili powder
- 1 tbsp. dried oregano
- 1 tsp. garlic powder
- 1 tsp. onion powder
- ½ tsp. cayenne pepper
- Sea salt and freshly ground black pepper
- In a bowl, combine smoked paprika, chili powder, dried oregano, garlic, onion and cayenne; season with sea salt and freshly ground black pepper.
- Pat dry the chicken legs and season generously with the spice rub on all sides.
- Let the drumsticks marinate for 30 minutes in the refrigerator.
- Preheat grill to medium-high heat.
- Place the drumsticks on the preheated grill.
- Grill 25 to 30 minutes covered, turning every 8 to 10 minutes or until no longer pink.