On the lookout for another one-pot meal that is not only sophisticated, but makes you feel like you are truly a professional chef too? We have just the dish which allows you to dream that you are in an Italian kitchen, looking out over the rolling countryside – the sun is shining, the tomatoes fresh-picked and perfectly ripe, the fresh basil and parsley making its way in from the garden, the smell of garlic being minced and the sight of asparagus gremolata being served in your finest, rustic dish… Now is the time to make your dreams become reality, if not in a true Italian kitchen, then in your own, just remember to put heart and passion into your dinner creations – it always tastes better that way!
Neither a soup, nor a stew, this dish passes the taste test of anyone who enters its path, provided that they like olives of course. One of the best ways to use up leftover olives is in a celery and olive salad, though this Italian chicken skillet still comes out on top, as it is a main dish that works equally well for lunch or dinner, any day of the week. And the flavors? They really cannot be beat. They beautifully sum up all the spices, herbs and vegetables that we adore from Italian cuisine.
This Italian chicken skillet needs nothing more than an uncomplicated side salad with fresh greens and a refreshing vinaigrette. Your imagination may dream up an occasional glass of red wine too.
Italian Chicken Skillet Recipe
Protein: 81g / %
Carbs: 17g / %
Fat: 52g / %
Values are per portion. These are for information only & are not meant to be exact calculations.
- 5 chicken legs
- 3/4 cup olives, pitted
- 1 bell pepper, diced
- 1 onion, finely chopped
- 1 small bunch asparagus, trimmed and chopped
- 2 cups diced tomatoes
- 4 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 1/2 cups tomato sauce
- 1/4 cup white wine or chicken stock
- 1 tsp. red pepper flakes
- 1/4 cup fresh parsley, minced + more to garnish
- 1/4 cup fresh basil, minced
- 4 tbsp. olive oil
- Cooking fat
- Sea Salt and freshly ground black pepper
- Season the chicken legs to taste with sea salt and freshly ground black pepper.
- Melt cooking fat in a skillet over medium-high heat, brown the chicken legs 3 to 4 minutes per side.
- Set the chicken aside, lower heat, and add the olive oil to the skillet.
- Add the onion, bell pepper and garlic; cook until soft 2 to 3 minutes.
- Pour in the wine or chicken stock, bring to a simmer and continue cooking until almost evaporated.
- Add the asparagus, diced tomatoes and olives; cook 3 to 4 minutes, then pour in the tomato sauce.
- Sprinkle the sauce with parsley, basil, red pepper flakes, and season to taste. Toss everything and bring the chicken back to the pan.
- Cover and cook until chicken is cooked through, 15 to 20 minutes.
- Serve topped with fresh parsley.