Usually when we think of traditional Jamaican jerk recipes, we focus on things like wings, pork, or beef. But this seasoning style isn’t just reserved for meat dishes – it works perfectly for a spicier side dish too. In this recipe, you’ll be using a Jamaican jerk sauce to marinate zucchini and eggplant slices. Once ready to grill, this dish will be ready in less than 10 minutes, making it a perfect accompaniment for a grilled main course, especially if you are looking to offer a tasty and complex vegetarian dish.
The highlight of this recipe is the sliced vegetables – eggplant and zucchini are used in this dish as written; however, these can certainly be substituted out depending on your dietary needs. For example, while eggplant can have great nutritional benefits, it is also a member of the nightshade family, which can be problematic for certain diners – especially those with chronic joint pain or other disorders. If needed, feel free to select veggies of your choosing and get creative on the grill!
This jerk-style vegetable dish packs a ton of spice already, but we think serving this alongside some other Jamaican-inspired main courses that have a bit less heat is a great way to tie your plate together. Some tasty options include this jerk chicken with mango and pineapple sauce or the Jamaican-style ribs – both of these have a sweeter flavor compared to the vegetable course.
Jamaican Jerk Eggplant and Zucchini Recipe
Protein: 4g / %
Carbs: 25g / %
Fat: 1g / %
Values are per portion. These are for information only & are not meant to be exact calculations.
- 2 eggplants, sliced lengthwise
- 2 zucchinis, sliced lengthwise
- 3 green onions, thinly sliced
- 4 garlic cloves, minced
- 1/2 tbsp. ground coriander
- 1/2 tsp. ground allspice
- 1 tbsp. fresh thyme, minced
- 1 tsp. ground cinnamon
- 1 tbsp. fresh ginger, minced
- 3 tbsp. fresh lime juice
- 1/4 cup coconut aminos
- 1 serrano or habanero pepper, seeded and minced
- Sea salt and freshly ground black pepper
- In a bowl, whisk together the garlic, coriander, allspice, thyme, cinnamon, ginger, lime juice, coconut aminos, habanero pepper, and green onions; season to taste with salt and pepper.
- Brush the eggplant and zucchini with the mixture and place everything in a marinating container.
- Marinate 2 to 4 hours in the refrigerator.
- Preheat grill to medium heat.
- Grill the vegetables 3 to 4 minutes per side, brushing with the remaining jerk seasoning.