While we’re definitely a fan of simple and quick meals, there’s always a time and a place for preparing things that are a little more complicated. This is especially true when your meal is something as tasty as this Jamaican-inspired chicken stew – yes, there’s a lot of ingredients and time involved, but the result is a large, one-pot dish that’s perfect for making ahead of time and freezing for future meals. In this dish, you’ll be combining a chopped whole chicken with a variety of vegetables and spices that can be adjusted to your taste preferences. This is a great recipe for using up uncooked, leftover chicken – you can really toss in whatever you have on hand and this dish will still work!
The key to making this recipe a success is the use of strong and spicy flavors, primarily from the hot pepper used and the dried thyme, paprika, and allspice. Although this recipe calls for a diced scotch bonnet, you can use any pepper (or peppers!) that you’d like. Just be mindful of how much heat you want in your meal – if you prefer something milder, omit this ingredient or use a mild pepper like the poblano; for more heat, try a habanero.
While one of the benefits of this dish is that it doesn’t really need to be paired with anything to round out your meal, we can see how adding a salad might help a bit (especially if you need something to cool off your taste buds). A great option is this fresh summer salad – it’s light, flavor-neutral, and delicious.
Jamaican-Style Brown Chicken Stew Recipe
Protein: 49g / %
Carbs: 18g / %
Fat: 21g / %
Values are per portion. These are for information only & are not meant to be exact calculations.
- 1 whole chicken, broken down into pieces
- 2 bell peppers, diced
- 2 carrots, sliced
- 3 to 4 green onions, sliced
- 1 red onion, chopped
- 2 to 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 2 tbsp. fresh ginger, minced
- 1 scotch bonnet or hot pepper, minced
- Juice from 1 lime
- 2 tsp. fresh thyme, minced
- 1 tsp. smoked paprika
- 2 tsp. allspice
- 2 tbsp. coconut aminos
- 2 cups coconut milk
- 1/2 cup chicken stock
- Cooking fat
- Sea salt and freshly ground black pepper
- Place the chicken in a large marinating container.
- In a bowl, combine the green onions, red onion, garlic, ginger, scotch bonnet or hot pepper, fresh thyme, paprika, all spice, and coconut aminos; season with salt and pepper to taste.
- Pour the marinade over the chicken and stir until well combined.
- Marinate in the refrigerator 2 to 12 hours.
- Melt cooking fat in a Dutch oven over high heat.
- Brown the chicken pieces 4 to 5 minutes per side or until well-browned.
- Pour the remaining marinade over the chicken and lower heat to medium.
- Add the carrots and bell pepper to the Dutch oven; stir everything.
- Deglaze the pan with the chicken stock and bring to a light boil.
- Stir in the coconut milk, cover, and simmer 20 to 25 minutes.