Tuna is light, delectable and saporous to those of us who can agree on its wonderful taste. You can purchase it from a fishmonger as a tuna steak and cook it gently, or you can go with the route of convenience and buy tuna in a can. There are advantages and disadvantages to both, either way you will be eating a healthy, protein-rich salad in virtually no time at all.
There are two parts to this recipe, and you can begin with whichever you like. We like to start with the vinaigrette, as it is best to let it rest for an ample amount of time before pouring it over the chopped ingredients, even 1 or 2 hours, just not in the refrigerator. When you begin, it is best if all ingredients are at room temperature, especially your Paleo oil of choice – the colder it is, the longer it will take to emulsify. We are searching for a golden medium here, with a ratio of oil to vinegar being 3:1. Sample it as you whisk along and adjust the taste with a little more apple cider vinegar if you are in need of some acidity. Always remember to use extra virgin olive oil for the best flavor.
This tuna salad with Mexican spices needs no companion on your plate, but it can serve as an inspiration for a spicy Mexican-style chicken salad, or even stir up interest in creating your own cauliflower tortillas – just in case you do want something on the side.
Mexican-Style Tuna Salad Recipe
Protein: 56g / %
Carbs: 19g / %
Fat: 64g / %
Values are per portion. These are for information only & are not meant to be exact calculations.
- 1 1/2 cups cooked tuna, chopped
- 4 to 5 cups mixed greens
- 1 bell pepper, sliced
- 1 zucchini, diced
- 2 green onions, sliced
- 1/2 cup mixed black and green olives, sliced
- 1 cup cherry tomatoes, halved
- 1/4 cup fresh cilantro, chopped
Mexican-Style Vinaigrette Ingredients
- 1/2 cup olive oil
- 2 tbsp. apple cider vinegar
- 2 tbsp. fresh lime juice
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 1/2 tsp. chili powder
- 1/2 tsp. paprika
- 1/2 tsp. cumin
- Sea salt and freshly ground black pepper
- In a small bowl combine all the ingredients for the vinaigrette, season to taste, and whisk until well emulsified.
- In a separate salad bowl combine all the ingredients for the salad.
- Drizzle the vinaigrette over the salad and gently toss.