Have leftover chicken and looking for a way to use it, other than another green salad? Try this slightly spicy, yet creamy chicken salad that takes just a few minutes to prepare. Red onion, bell pepper, jalapeno and flavorful spices showcase a host of different flavors and textures, and without all the lettuce.
You’re not alone if you regularly have leftover chicken on hand — whether you roast a whole chicken or have leftover chicken from last night’s meal, it’s a common occurrence. Luckily, there are plenty of ways to use leftover chicken like in a stuffed potato, soup, omelette, salad or tossed in a stir-fry. Or, you can whip up a creamy salad like this one with a homemade mayo.
If you pack a lunch to take to work or school with you, this would be a perfect salad to prepare the night before and take with you the next morning. Don’t be afraid to mix the mayo dressing in the chicken the night before, because the seasonings and mayonnaise will marinate into the chicken and will only make the salad even tastier the next day!
Spicy Mexican-Style Chicken Salad Recipe
Protein: 18g / %
Carbs: 3g / %
Fat: 24g / %
Values are per portion. These are for information only & are not meant to be exact calculations.
- 2 cups chicken breast, cooked and shredded
- 1/4 cup red onion, minced
- 1/2 cup bell pepper, minced
- 1 jalapeno, minced
- 1/2 cup mayonnaise
- 2 tbsp. fresh lemon juice
- 1 tsp. chili powder
- 1/4 tsp. cumin powder
- 1/4 tsp. paprika
- Sea salt and freshly ground black pepper
- In a small bowl, combine the mayonnaise, lemon juice, chili powder, cumin, paprika, and season to taste.
- In a large bowl, add the chicken, red onion, bell pepper, and jalapeno.
- Pour in the mayo dressing and toss gently.
- Adjust amount of mayonnaise if needed.
- Cover and refrigerate until ready to serve.