“Eat your greens!”, we have listened to our parents and grandparents say time and again. Common knowledge says that they are good for us, but what exactly do they do for our bodies that make them a necessary ingredient in our lives? Well, they help reduce inflammation, heal the digestive tract, strengthen our bones, they lower the risk of cardiovascular disease and they prevent aging of the skin – in essence they aid us in maintaining our healthful youth.
To make the best-ever roasted broccoli you will want to make sure that the heat is high enough in your oven. The heat ensures that the florets will have plenty of bite-worthy crispiness that all ages will take delightful pleasure in. Roast them well till you see them beginning to brown, then leave for a couple of minutes longer, just to be sure of the delicate crunch. With a little patience they will be perfect for dipping in a South Carolina-style mustard barbecue sauce.
Broccoli recipes are plentiful and you are assured to find a handful that your family enjoys, whether the florets turn up in broccoli fritters, broccoli soup, strawberry broccoli salad, or served next to a plate of lemon and herb grilled chicken you will be getting enough greens to keep you young for yet another day.
Oven Roasted Broccoli Recipe
Protein: 7g / %
Carbs: 19g / %
Fat: 18g / %
Values are per portion. These are for information only & are not meant to be exact calculations.
- 2 broccoli heads, cut into florets
- 1/4 cup extra virgin olive oil
- 4 garlic cloves, minced
- 2 tsp. fresh lemon juice
- Zest of half a lemon
- 1/4 cup sliced almonds
- 1 tsp. paprika
- 1/2 tsp. red pepper flakes
- Sea salt and freshly ground black pepper
- Preheat the oven to 425 F.
- In a bowl combine the olive oil, garlic, lemon juice, lemon zest, paprika, red pepper flakes, and season to taste.
- Place the broccoli florets on a baking sheet, and drizzle the olive oil mixture over the broccoli. Toss until well covered.
- Place in the oven and roast 10 to 15 minutes, turning at the halfway point.
- Sprinkle the sliced almonds over the broccoli and place back into the oven another 5 to 8 minutes or until broccoli is tender.
- Adjust seasoning and serve.