Think of this as an “unstuffed” cabbage soup, in that you do not need to spend precious time on rolling and folding leaves of cabbage, neatly arranging them in the bottom of the pot; you just roughly chop the cabbage and add the leaves to the slow cooker with the already browned beef and let all of these stay in warmth for 6 hours or so. By the time school, work, or your workout is over, your healthy dinner is ready and waiting.
With such basic ingredients this slow food could become part of your own customized Paleo meal plan – you may even decide that you love it enough to make it once a week! Choose any kind of ground beef that you like (it is not all the same), or opt for what is available at your local store or butcher, and even if you can’t afford all grass-fed it shouldn’t stop you from enjoying Paleo cooking. Regular ground beef contains the highest amount of fat and it is juicy because of it! Ground chuck is meat that comes from the shoulder area – not as fatty, but still full of flavor. Then there is ground round from near the tail – great for sauces and mixing with vegetables.
Choose the best quality meat you can find, then peel and chop some veggies for a superb side dish: namely sweet potato and rutabaga mash. You can have a small bowl on the side, or add a few spoonfuls to the soup to thicken it up – and that is how a soup becomes a stew.
Slow Cooker Cabbage Soup Recipe
Protein: 43g / %
Carbs: 35g / %
Fat: 27g / %
Values are per portion. These are for information only & are not meant to be exact calculations.
- 1 lb. ground beef
- 4 cups red and green cabbage, roughly chopped
- 2 to 3 carrots, diced
- 1 onion, diced
- 2 cups fresh tomatoes, chopped
- 4 garlic cloves, minced
- 2 cups tomato sauce
- 4 1/2 cups beef or chicken stock
- 1 tsp. paprika
- 1 tsp. dried oregano
- 1/2 tsp. dried basil
- Cooking fat
- Sea salt and freshly ground black pepper
- Melt cooking fat in a skillet over medium-high heat.
- Add the garlic and onion and cook 2 to 3 minutes; then add the beef.
- Cook beef until browned and no longer pink; season beef with paprika, then add salt and pepper to taste.
- Place the beef in a slow cooker, and add all the remaining ingredients to the slow cooker.
- Adjust seasoning to taste and mix everything until well combined.
- Cover and cook on low 6 to 8 hours, or on high 4 to 5 hours.