All eyes are on this southern-style potato salad made with bits of bacon and a tangy dressing! Who can can resist salty and savory bacon mixed with soft potatoes and a host of seasonings?! Bring this potato salad to a BBQ or simply serve as a side for an all-around favorite dish.
Most potato salads (like this one and this one) are made with a homemade mayonnaise dressing base. If you don’t prefer mayo, or are looking for a mayo-free version, this is your salad. In fact, French-style potato salads are often made without a mayonnaise base, and instead are made with an herby olive oil-balsamic dressing, like this one.
Even though this is a mayo-free potato salad, it’s important to keep it refrigerated because bacon needs to be kept cold. Be sure to choose a well-sourced bacon from a farmer’s market, local grocer or quality butcher shop. Serve with a bunless burger or chicken dish!
Southern-Style Potato Salad Recipe
Protein: 10g / %
Carbs: 47g / %
Fat: 24g / %
Values are per portion. These are for information only & are not meant to be exact calculations.
- 6 to 8 russet or sweet potatoes, diced
- 1 red onion, sliced
- 1 tbsp. coriander seeds
- 1 tsp. cumin seeds
- 1/2 tbsp. dried oregano
- 1/2 tsp. chili flakes
- 4 bacon slices, cooked and minced
- 3 tbsp. fresh parsley, minced
- 1/4 cup olive oil
- 2 tbsp. red wine vinegar
- 1 tbsp. cooking fat
- Sea salt and freshly ground black pepper
- Cook diced potatoes in boiling water until tender, 15 to 20 minutes.
- Drain the water and let potatoes cool.
- Melt cooking fat in a skillet over medium-high heat.
- Add the sliced onions and cook until lightly caramelized, 10 to 12 minutes, then set aside.
- Add the coriander and cumin seeds to the skillet and cook for 1 to 2 minutes.
- In a bowl, combine the onions, grilled seeds, oregano, chili flakes, bacon, parsley, olive oil and red wine vinegar.
- Whisk together, and season to taste.
- Add the potatoes to the onion-bacon sauce and gently toss.
- Eat right away or serve cold.