Okay, we totally understand – when most of us think of a tasty side dish, Brussels sprouts usually aren’t something we consider. Lots of people might recall unfortunate memories of these vegetables being served soaked with water, flavorless, and undercooked. But we promise – you haven’t had Brussels sprouts cooked the right way. These little veggies may not seem like much, but they have a host of nutritional benefits, and when roasted correctly (that is, enough to soften and dry them out a bit), they work as a great side dish for pretty much any main course.
This recipe is fantastic as a quick side dish on a busy weeknight – the start of your prep to plate time should take less than half an hour. The ingredients in this dish are also pretty inexpensive, which is great for those of us eating a Paleo diet on a budget. Just a warning though – the recipe as listed below is not kid-friendly (unless your child enjoys the spicier side of life). The amount of hot pepper sauce can definitely be adjusted down, so if you prefer a more mild dish, consider cutting it by half or more.
These Brussels sprouts work well paired with a nice protein-rich main course – since the flavors here are so neutral, you can choose pretty much whatever suits you! We also like the idea of adding these to a salad for some additional flavor. If you are packing a complete salad for lunch, consider doubling up this recipe and using your extra sprouts to add to it!
Spicy Roasted Brussels Sprouts Recipe
Protein: 4g / %
Carbs: 19g / %
Fat: 7g / %
Values are per portion. These are for information only & are not meant to be exact calculations.
- 1 lb. Brussels sprouts
- 2 tbsp. olive oil
- 2 tbsp. raw honey (optional)
- 2 to 3 tbsp. hot pepper sauce
- 2 tbsp. apple cider vinegar
- Sea salt and freshly ground black pepper
- Preheat oven to 400 F.
- Clean the Brussels sprouts, removing the first layer of leaves if needed; slice in half.
- In a bowl, combine the olive oil, raw honey, hot pepper sauce, and apple cider vinegar.
- Add the Brussels sprouts to the bowl; season with salt and pepper to taste.
- Toss until well coated.
- Place the Brussels sprouts on a baking sheet and place in the oven.
- Roast 15 to 20 minutes.
- Adjust seasoning and serve.