Almonds and walnuts get all the press when it comes to salad topper nuts, but there’s a whole world of other nuts out there to explore! And today, it’s time for pecans to show off what they’ve got. In this salad, crunchy caramelized pecans add a delicious touch of Southern sweetness to a big pile of lettuce and fresh berries. Add the mustard-poppyseed dressing and just a little bit of bite with some red onion, and you’ve got a perfect combination for a hot, late-summer afternoon.
If you’re not big on honey, you can definitely leave it out here; just cook the chopped pecans until they’re warm and toasted and carry on with the salad as usual. You’ll get a little less sweetness in the final product, but that’s not necessarily a problem, especially if you’re saving your sweet tooth for dessert.
This one works as either a side salad or a main meal: to make it into a side, just leave out the chicken. And if you’ve got a serious appetite, you could always add even more chicken. Either way, it’s delicious with a bowl of soup, or maybe some simple summer chicken if you’re using the salad just as a side dish.
Strawberry Pecan Salad Recipe
Protein: 22g / %
Carbs: 31g / %
Fat: 58g / %
Values are per portion. These are for information only & are not meant to be exact calculations.
- 1 cup pecans, chopped;
- 12 oz. Romaine lettuce, chopped;
- 8 oz. fresh strawberries, halved;
- 4 oz. fresh blueberries;
- 1/4 cup red onion, sliced;
- 2 clementine oranges, peeled;
- 2 chicken breasts, cooked and diced; (optional)
- 1 tbsp. raw honey; (optional)
- ½ cup lemon juice;
- 1 tsp. Dijon mustard;
- 2/3 cup. olive oil;
- 1 tbsp. honey; (optional)
- 1 tbsp. poppy seeds;
- Sea salt and freshly ground black pepper;
- Sauté the pecans with the honey until caramelized in a skillet placed over a medium heat. Set aside to cool.
- In a large bowl, combine the lettuce, blueberries, strawberries, oranges, chicken, and onion.
- Combine all the ingredients for the dressing in a bowl.
- Drizzle the dressing on the salad and toss gently.
- Serve the salad with the candied pecans on top.