Why choose between guacamole and salsa when you could have both? Roasted sweet potatoes with a light coating of spices work as the base for a pile of guacamole and salsa with just a little bacon on top – no tortilla chips necessary. They taste great, they’re full of nutritional standouts like avocado and sweet potatoes, and they add a cheerful burst of color to any table.
Leave the skin on the sweet potatoes for this one; it helps hold them together to make a sturdy base for the toppings. You could also do it without the bacon for a completely vegan recipe.
You can use your favorite salsa for this; either make it yourself or get one from the store (salsa is one of those rare and precious prepared foods where you actually can find at least one Paleo-friendly brand in most grocery stores). If you can find a good brand of guacamole, you could also just buy that pre-prepared to save yourself some effort, but guacamole is so easy to make at home that it’s not a huge deal.
Sweet Potato Bites with Guacamole and Bacon Recipe
Protein: 12g / %
Carbs: 23g / %
Fat: 27g / %
Values are per portion. These are for information only & are not meant to be exact calculations.
- 2 sweet potatoes, scrubbed clean but NOT peeled, thinly sliced
- 4 oz. bacon, cooked and crumbled
- 1 cup fresh salsa
- 1 tsp. chili powder
- 1/2 tsp. paprika
- 1/2 tsp. garlic powder
- 2 tbsp. extra-virgin olive oil
- Fresh cilantro, minced
- Sea salt and freshly ground black pepper
Simple Guacamole Ingredients
- 2 medium avocados, peeled, pitted, and diced
- 1 tbsp. fresh lime juice
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 1/2 cup Roma tomatoes, diced
- 1/4 cup red onion, diced
- Preheat your oven to 450 F.
- In a bowl, mash the two avocados until smooth. Add all the remaining ingredients for the guacamole. Stir until well combined, cover, and refrigerate.
- Place sliced sweet potatoes in a bowl and drizzle with olive oil. Sprinkle with chili powder, paprika, garlic powder, and salt and pepper to taste, and toss until well coated.
- Place the sliced sweet potatoes on a baking sheet and cook in the oven for 10 to 12 minutes on each side.
- Top each sweet potato slice with guacamole, fresh salsa, bacon bits, and fresh cilantro.