Chili is a classic winter comfort food, but at this point in the year you might be getting a little bit bored of the recipe you have – there’s only so much of the same dish anyone really wants to eat, no matter how tasty it is. So just in case you’ve got a case of the January Chili Blahs, here’s a recipe to breathe some new life into a favorite easy meal: chili with a spicy Thai twist.
Instead of just chicken stock for the liquid, Thai-inspired chili adds some coconut milk, and the seasonings get a boost with red curry paste for flavor (you can get this in the ethnic aisle at most grocery stores). And that’s without even mentioning all the vegetables packed into one pot: bring on the peppers and zucchini! Garnish it with fresh lime wedges for color and flavor, and see if it doesn’t help break up the chili rut.
This chili would be perfect over some cauliflower rice or a baked potato (yes, potatoes are Paleo). And if you’re doing a big weekly cook-up, it’s a great candidate – chili freezes and reheats beautifully and it goes with all different side dishes.
Thai Beef Chili Recipe
Protein: 69g / %
Carbs: 30g / %
Fat: 53g / %
Values are per portion. These are for information only & are not meant to be exact calculations.
- 2 lbs. ground beef
- 2 to 3 cups chicken stock
- 1 large sweet potato, peeled and cubed
- 1 green bell pepper, chopped
- 1 red bell pepper, chopped
- 1 large zucchini, chopped
- 1 cup coconut milk
- 15 oz. tomato sauce
- 1/4 cup fresh cilantro, chopped
- 4 green onions, chopped
- 1 lime, cut into wedges
- 4 tsp. red curry paste
- 2 tsp. ground cumin
- Sea salt and freshly ground black pepper
- Brown the beef in a large saucepan placed over a medium-high heat.
- Add the curry paste, the cumin and the stock and stir until well combined.
- Add the sweet potato, zucchini, and bell pepper.
- Bring the chili to a boil; then reduce the heat to low and let simmer for 20 minutes.
- Stir in coconut milk and tomato sauce. Cook, uncovered, for 7 to 10 minutes.
- Let the chili cool for 10 to 15 minutes.
- Stir in the cilantro and season to taste.
- Serve topped with green onions and lime wedges.