The typical barbecue skewer recipe is a meat and vegetable combination. Beef and onions; chicken and zucchini; you know the drill. But skewers don’t have to have any meat on them! These ones don’t, so they’re great for a side dish or an appetizer instead of the main event.
You can have a little fun with the recipe by playing around with the type of mushroom. Go for whatever is in season and fresh – or even mushrooms you picked yourself, if you’re lucky enough to have good foraging grounds nearby.
Serve these skewers as quick sides for burgers, pork chops, chicken, or anything else on the grill – the herb sauce would also be really good on top of grilled meat, if you want to go there. They’d also be great if you’re feeding some vegetarians or vegans, since the skewers are totally meat-free. The Paleo folks can have them with pork chops and the vegans can have them with grilled tofu and everyone can appreciate all that delicious olive oil!
Tomato and Mushroom Skewers With Herb Sauce Recipe
Protein: 3g / %
Carbs: 17g / %
Fat: 31g / %
Values are per portion. These are for information only & are not meant to be exact calculations.
- 4 cups cherry tomatoes
- 1 lb. mushrooms
- 2 tbsp. Dijon mustard
- 1 tbsp. raw honey (optional)
- 4 garlic cloves, minced
- 4 tbsp. olive oil
- 1/4 cup ghee or olive oil
- 1/2 cup fresh cilantro, minced
- 1/2 cup fresh parsley, minced
- Sea salt and freshly ground black pepper
- Wood or metal skewers
- Preheat a grill to medium-high heat.
- In a bowl, combine the Dijon mustard, the 4 tbsp olive oil, the honey, if using, and season with salt and pepper to taste.
- Skewer the tomatoes and mushrooms alternately on wood or metal skewers.
- Brush the vegetable skewers with the mustard sauce.
- Grill the skewers for 2 to 3 minutes on each side, and let rest for another 2 to 3 minutes.
- Heat the ghee or olive oil in a saucepan over medium heat. Add the garlic and cook until fragrant.
- Add the cilantro, parsley, and season with salt and pepper to taste. Cook, stirring constantly, for 1 or 2 minutes.
- Serve the skewers, drizzled with the herb sauce on top.