Fries do not have to be fried. It is a common misnomer which we now know to be true, because we have information that the best fries are actually baked. And a taste test was involved in the baking of these zucchini fries too, just to be sure they are every bit as crispy and unbelievably tasty as they should be. Fries certainly are lovely when made from white potatoes, or even better when made from sweet potatoes, but oh, the carbs! We need to watch out for those, and you do too – so, along comes zucchini and steps up to the plate…
Since each fry is individually dipped in a beaten egg mixture, then delicately rolled into parmesan cheese and coconut flour, not to mention the myriad of spices, every bite will take your ultimate attention. This is called mindfulness, and when you slow down to eat what you have baked from scratch, noticing the crunchy outside, and how the textures melt together in your mouth – this is called mindful eating. It is a good thing to learn when eating fries, so you don’t eat them all at once!
Serve them with a Greek-style burger or your favorite buttermilk and garlic baked chicken, if that is on the dinner menu for tonight. If you love dipping your fries into something spicy and slightly sweet, then you may want to try a white barbecue sauce – we bet you you’ve never had that before.
Keto Zucchini Fries Recipe
Protein: 8g / %
Carbs: 6g / %
Fat: 9g / %
Values are per portion. These are for information only & are not meant to be exact calculations.
- 2 zucchinis
- 2 eggs
- 1/2 cup grated parmesan cheese
- 1/4 cup coconut flour
- 1/2 tsp. oregano
- 1/2 tsp. garlic powder
- 1/2 tsp. paprika
- Sea salt and freshly ground black pepper
- Preheat oven to 425 F.
- Cut the zucchinis into 16 to 18 sticks, about 4 inches long.
- Beat the eggs in one bowl, and in another bowl combine the parmesan, coconut flour, oregano, garlic, paprika, and season to taste.
- Dip each zucchini stick in the beaten eggs, let the excess drip off, and then coat with the parmesan and coconut mixture.
- Place the zucchini sticks on a baking sheet.
- Bake in the oven 18 to 20 minutes, turning halfway through the cooking time.
Ashley from Paleo Leap is now a health coach
Get coaching around:
- transitioning to a Paleo diet
- reaching your fitness goals
getting through those hurdles
- limiting sugar, gluten, carbs
- eating out
- overall life satisfaction