This is not so much a recipe as a method: once you learn to apply it, you can use it for any cut of chicken or even fish. It’s flexible because it’s so simple: you can make a no-fuss lunch for a single person, or dinner for the family using the same technique.
The reward for your efforts is all out of proportion to the work you have to put in: gently-cooked, tender meat with a fresh, pleasant flavor that complements almost any cuisine. It would pair equally well with a Mediterranean dish of fresh sliced tomatoes with olive oil, a more Middle Eastern choice like falafel, or just a simple side of roasted vegetables. If you want to really bring out the lemon, just add a few lemon wedges to the baking dish. Chicken cooked this way is also perfect for chopping and tossing on a salad, since the lemon and herbs complement most salad dressings or vinaigrettes.
The best accompaniment for this recipe is something with fat: baked chicken breast just doesn’t have enough fat to make a filling meal, so if you don’t add some, you’ll be hungry again an hour later. Avocado with a splash of balsamic vinegar would be a good choice (an avocado salad, perhaps?), or try vegetables roasted in a generous amount of olive oil. Pesto is another option; olive oil and lemon just naturally seem to go together, and a few spoons of pesto actually make quite a good salad topping.
There are all kinds of other ways to add fat to a meal, and none is better than the others – just make sure you pick one of them, so you can get the full benefit of all the nutrients from such a delicious and easy recipe.
Lemon And Thyme Chicken Recipe
Prep Time: 10 min.
Cooking Time: 40 min.
- 4 boneless skinless chicken breasts;
- 5 garlic cloves, minced;
- ½ cup of chicken stock;
- Zest from 1 lemon;
- Juice from 1 lemon;
- 2 to 3 sprigs of fresh thyme;
- 1 lemon, cut into 4 wedges;
- Sea salt and freshly ground black pepper to taste;
- Preheat your oven to 400 F.
- Season the chicken breasts on each side with sea salt and black pepper.
- Place the chicken breasts in a baking dish and add the minced garlic, chicken stock, lemon zest, lemon juice, and thyme sprigs.
- Place in the oven and cook for 30 to 40 minutes, until the chicken is cooked through, basting one or twice during the process.
- Serve warm with lemon wedges.