This African sweet potato and okra stew is a delicious and comforting meal that is sure to please everyone at your dinner table. Prepare your taste buds for an exotic and delicious journey that'll have you begging for seconds.
African Sweet Potato And Okra Stew
The sweet potato used in this recipe brings a subtle sweetness to the dish that perfectly balances the spices used. Cinnamon and chili add depth and warmth, while ginger adds a zing. Chopped tomatoes boost the flavor and provide a juicy and hearty base. Okra is an underrated vegetable that can be underappreciated but has come to shine in this exceptional recipe.
This is perfect by itself, but you may want to serve the African sweet potato and okra stew with a slice of one of these keto bread recipes.
Serves: 4 Prep Time: 15 min Cook Time: 15 min
• 1 medium onion
• 1 red chilli, seeded and finely chopped
• 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
• 3 cups sweet potatoes, cut into large cubes
• 1 tablespoon grated ginger root
• 2 ½ cups chicken stock
• A few leaves of kale, coarsely chopped
• 1 lb chopped tomatoes
• ½ lb okra, chopped
• 2 tablespoon coriander
• 1 handful of almonds
• Juice of 1 lime
• Cooking fat
• Sea salt and freshly ground black pepper to taste
How to Make African Sweet Potato And Okra Stew
In a large Dutch oven, melt the cooking fat over medium heat. Once the poti s hot, add the chopped onion and cook, stirring regularly, for 5 minutes.
Add in the grated ginger, red chili, and ground cinnamon to the onions. Stir well and cook for an additional 3 minutes.
To the Dutch oven, add the cubed sweet potatoes, chicken broth, 1 teaspoon each of salt, and black pepper. Stir this together, and let it simmer for 5 minutes.
To the pot, add the chopped kale, okra, tomatoes, and lime juice. Stir this well, cover it, and let it continue cooking for another 5 minutes. After 5 minutes, remove the cover and continue cooking for 5 minutes.
Taste and season with salt and black pepper then garnish with coriander and almonds before serving.
More Stew Recipes
I love a good hearty stew for a comfort food meal on weeknights. Below are some great choices that you can add to your meal plan soon. Bookmark your favorites to make your family soon!
- Quick and Creamy Chicken Stew
- Nicoise Chicken Stew Recipe
- Bison Stew Recipe
- Simple Lamb Stew Recipe
- Creamy Mushroom Stew Recipe
- Hearty Crab Stew Recipe
African Sweet Potato And Okra Stew
- 1 medium onion
- 1 red Chilli seeded and finely chopped
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 3 cups sweet potatoes cut into large cubes
- 1 tablespoon grated ginger root
- 2 ½ cups chicken stock
- 1 cup kale coarsely chopped
- 1 lb chopped tomatoes
- ½ lb okra chopped
- 2 tablespoon coriander
- 1 tablespoon almonds
- 1 ½ tablespoon lime juice
- 1 tablespoon cooking fat
- Sea salt and black pepper to taste
- Heat the cooking fat in a large Dutch oven over medium heat. Cook the chopped onion for 5 minutes, stirring regularly. Add grated ginger, red chili, and ground cinnamon. Cook for 3 minutes.1 medium onion, 1 red Chilli, 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon, 1 tablespoon cooking fat, 1 tablespoon grated ginger root
- Add cubed sweet potatoes, chicken broth, salt, and black pepper. Let it simmer for 5 minutes. Add chopped kale, okra, tomatoes, and lime juice. Cover and cook for another 5 minutes. Uncover and continue cooking for 5 minutes.3 cups sweet potatoes, 2 ½ cups chicken stock, 1 cup kale, 1 lb chopped tomatoes, ½ lb okra, 1 ½ tablespoon lime juice, Sea salt and black pepper
- Season with salt and black pepper then garnish with coriander and almonds before serving. Taste the deliciousness in every bite with this African sweet potato and okra stew.2 tablespoon coriander, 1 tablespoon almonds
- For added flavor and texture, sautee an onion or zucchini with the rest of the ingredients.
- This is good for up to 5 days in the refrigerator.