There are many options for low-carb salads and this one takes the cake – coming in at just 5g of carbs. If you are really watching your intake, or are just in need of a low-key day, know that this keto avocado egg salad is just the one to keep your numbers right where they should be. As a bonus: it is incredibly easy to make, you can store it in the fridge till you are ready to eat and it just so happens to taste pretty darn good too.
For a successful egg salad it takes mayo, there is no substitute for the real thing. Here is how to make homemade mayonnaise from the comfort of your own kitchen. It is a recipe that you will want to memorize, because it is ultra-useful in many dishes, it also makes a great base for a dipping sauce – just saying. As far as quality of eggs, seek out free-range if you can find it, opt for organic and if duck eggs happen to be available near you, then try them out too – the rich yolk will become a lovely reddish-orange hue when cooked and add some additional color interest to the plate.
You can scoop the egg salad onto a bed of fresh leaves, or concoct a fancy lettuce wrap. When in doubt, a rasher or two never hurts to protein it up a notch – just fry it well and sprinkle the golden crumbles on top.
Keto Avocado Egg Salad Recipe
Protein: 10g / %
Carbs: 5g / %
Fat: 22g / %
Values are per portion. These are for information only & are not meant to be exact calculations.
- 6 eggs
- 1 avocado
- 1 tbsp. fresh lemon juice or lime juice
- 2 celery stalks, diced
- 1/4 cup homemade mayonnaise
- 1 tbsp. Dijon mustard
- Sea salt and freshly ground black pepper
- Bring a pot of cold water to a boil, making sure there is enough water to cover the eggs.
- Add the eggs to boiling water, reduce the heat to medium, and cook for 10 to 12 minutes.
- Drain the hot water from the eggs and run cold water over them.
- Peel and cut eggs into big chunks.
- Mash the avocado in a bowl; mix in the lemon juice, mayonnaise, mustard, and season to taste.
- In a bowl combine the eggs, celery, and avocado-mayonnaise mixture.
- Refrigerate until ready to serve.