Sausages wrapped in bacon are a delicious fatty treat, especially paired with a naturally sweet side of roasted fruits: pick whatever berries you like to give the recipe your own unique spin.
This is quick crowd-pleaser perfect for holidays if you have guests over for brunch or just want a hearty meal without a lot of fuss. You only have to get one pan dirty, and you can easily make as much or as little as you need – make a huge pile if you’re cooking for a crowd, or scale it down for just one or two?
In the spirit of trying out wild game, this is also delicious with any kind of sausage – sure, you could go with pork, but why not try venison sausage or another game meat for a change? Wrapping the sausages in bacon tones down the flavor and adds some extra fat in case the game meat is very lean, so it’s a nice way to ease into wild game if you’re intimidated by the taste. Why not try it and see how you like it?
Bacon-Wrapped Sausage With Apples Recipe
Protein: 33g / %
Carbs: 35g / %
Fat: 33g / %
Values are per portion. These are for information only & are not meant to be exact calculations.
- 8 good quality sausages (beef, pork, or game meat);
- 8 good quality bacon slices;
- 1 cup of mixed berries;
- 2 to 3 apples, cut into 8 wedges;
- Cooking fat;
- Preheat your oven to 400 F.
- Roll one slice of bacon around each sausage, and tie with cooking twine.
- Melt some cooking fat in a Dutch oven or roasting pan over a high heat.
- Brown each sausage on all sides.
- Place the Dutch oven or pan in the oven and roast for 20 minutes.
- Toss in the apples and berries, and cook for another 10 to 15 minutes.