There are times when you have to make a dish for the leftovers alone. This is one of them. The downside here is that there are only two servings depending on the size of the squash, but there is a quick remedy for that – just double it from the get-go and find a secret place in the fridge to store your stash. It’s tasty and absolutely mouthwatering when warmed up – you have been warned.
Spaghetti squash is a winter squash available throughout the colder months. Though it can be eaten raw or lacto-fermented, it is perhaps best known for its ability to turn into spaghetti once baked and forked into thin strings. Like this, you can eat it with any tomato sauce and be completely happy. However, it is beneficial to expand your horizons and challenge your palate, to get out there and try new things (in fact, you may find that you adore rosemary-skewered scallops). So, when life gives you hot sauce, shredded chicken and squash, take it, eat it and hide the rest for later.
There are plenty of vegetables stuffed in here, though it is also important to get some vitamin-rich greens in your diet, so don’t skimp on the fresh leafy greens in a simple salad. Don’t forget to add a sprinkle of your favorite aged cheese just before serving, if you are eating dairy, or a diced jalapeño, if you can handle the heat.
Buffalo Chicken Spaghetti Squash Recipe
Protein: 43g / %
Carbs: 47g / %
Fat: 19g / %
Values are per portion. These are for information only & are not meant to be exact calculations.
- 1 spaghetti squash, halved and seeded
- 2 chicken breasts, cooked and shredded
- 1 bell pepper
- 1 onion, diced
- 2 celery stalks, thinly sliced
- 1 green onion, sliced
- 1/2 cup hot pepper sauce
- 1/2 cup tomato sauce
- 2 tbsp. olive oil
- Sea salt and freshly ground black pepper
- Preheat oven to 425 F.
- Coat the inside of the squash lightly with olive oil; generously season with sea salt and freshly ground black pepper.
- Place on a baking sheet, and bake in the oven 30 to 35 minutes or until squash shreds easily with a fork.
- In a bowl whisk together the tomato sauce and hot pepper sauce.
- In another bowl combine the shredded chicken, bell pepper, onion, and celery.
- Pour the tomato hot sauce on top and toss everything until well combined.
- Fill the squash with the chicken mixture and place back in the oven 10 to 12 minutes.
- Serve topped with sliced green onions.