Spaghetti – it brings up visions of long strands of glutenous pasta, dripping with tomato sauce… however the spaghetti here is the squash version and it is extremely filling, satisfying and nourishing to boot. The great thing about slow cooking is that you can start dinner in the morning and have food ready for when the end-of-the-day hunger rolls around. The chicken breasts can be cooked on low heat for 6 to 8 hours along with peppers, mushrooms and tomatoes while you are at work – and once you get home, you can toss that spaghetti squash straight in the oven.
As the weather gets cooler, you will begin to find spaghetti squash at your local market, as well as at larger grocery stores. It is harvested in early fall and – like other hard-shelled winter squashes – it will keep throughout the winter and spring, if it is stored in a cool location. It is a beautiful vegetable with a creamy yellow outer skin and while it is certainly a great alternative to pasta (carb and grain-freeness wise), you may also be pleased to know that you can eat it raw in salads and the seeds are edible too – perfectly roasted with just a hint of paprika and salt.
If you can still find tomatoes fresh from the vine, then a balsamic tomato and onion salad makes a wonderful accompaniment. If it is later in the season, then a pear salad with honey-citrus vinaigrette will match nicely too.
Slow Cooker Chicken and Tomato Spaghetti Squash Recipe
Protein: 44g / %
Carbs: 48g / %
Fat: 8g / %
Values are per portion. These are for information only & are not meant to be exact calculations.
- 2 spaghetti squash or 1 large, cut in half and seeded
- 4 boneless, skinless chicken breasts
- 2 bell peppers, sliced
- 8 oz. mushrooms, sliced
- 1 onion, sliced
- 2 cups diced tomatoes
- 4 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 cup tomato sauce
- 2 sprigs fresh thyme
- 2 bay leaves
- Fresh parsley to garnish
- Olive oil
- Sea salt and freshly ground black pepper
- Season the chicken to taste with sea salt and freshly ground black pepper.
- Transfer the chicken to a slow cooker. Top with bell pepper, mushroom, onion, diced tomato, tomato sauce and garlic.
- Place thyme and bay leaves on top and season to taste.
- Cover and cook on low 6 to 8 hours, or on high about 4 hours.
- When done – cut, shred or keep chicken breasts whole.
- Preheat oven to 400 F.
- Brush the inner flesh of the spaghetti squash with olive oil and season to taste with salt and pepper.
- Place in the oven and roast, skin side up, for 30 to 40 minutes.
- Scrape out the flesh of the spaghetti squash with a fork and serve in a bowl topped with the slow-cooked chicken mixture.