The spices in this shrimp dish will remind you of Cajun kitchens and cuisine in New Orleans. The Cajun spices bring heat and warmth to these protein-packed shrimp, and the freshly-squeezed lemon juice cuts through with a bite of bitter sweet.
Shrimp are a nutritious protein source and a good source of minerals. Because shrimp are naturally quite low in fat, it’s a good idea to add a cooking fat like butter, coconut oil or olive oil. In sticking with the Cajun theme, you can include sausages, which will also provide more healthy dietary fat.
Serve these shrimp over a bed of cauliflower rice and sprinkle with fresh cilantro and squeezed lemon juice. Adding a side of oven-roasted vegetables or a green salad won’t take away from the spicy Cajun smoke of the main meal!
Cajun-Style Shrimp Recipe
Protein: 28g / %
Carbs: 1g / %
Fat: 7g / %
Values are per portion. These are for information only & are not meant to be exact calculations.
- 1 lb. shrimp, peeled and deveined
- 2 tbsp. olive oil
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 2 tbsp. lemon juice
- Fresh cilantro
- Lemon wedges
Cajun Spice Mix Ingredients
- 1 tsp. ground cumin
- 1 tsp. ground coriander
- 1 tsp. paprika
- 1/4 tsp. dried oregano
- Sea salt and freshly ground black pepper
- Preheat the oven to 400 F.
- In a bowl, combine the seasoning ingredients for the cajun spices, and season to taste.
- In another bowl, combine the olive oil, lemon juice, garlic and the cajun spices.
- Add the shrimp to the cajun mixture, and toss until well coated.
- Place the shrimp on a baking sheet in a single layer.
- Cook in the preheated oven 6 to 8 minutes, or until cooked through.
- Serve the shrimp with fresh cilantro and lemon wedges.