Chicken, bacon and sweet potatoes combine oh-so-well in a myriad of flavorous ways. From casseroles to risotto, from creamy soups to basic hashes and more complex skillets, any meal made from these three basic ingredients will never let you down. And if you have ever had the chance to indulge into a hefty serving of Paleo chicken, bacon and sweet potato pie, then you know exactly what we are talking about. No matter how it is baked, cooked, fried or grilled, it is sure to be a moreish delight!
One of the best tricks for grilling sweet potatoes, or roasting them, for that matter, is to parboil them. This ensures that the outside stays crispy, while the inside is melt-in-your-mouth delicious. All it takes is a short 4-5 minutes in a pot of boiling water and a quick cold water bath as preparation before grilling. Consequently, pre-boiling also makes it easier to thread the sweet potatoes on your skewers. As this entire meal can be made in less than 30 minutes, you’ll have plenty of time to think about a green side salad – may we suggest one with tomatoes and spinach?
And for dessert on a special night, let’s not forget that sweet potatoes can be magically transformed into chocolatey sweet potato brownies. They are a real crowd-pleaser and a last course that should never be ignored.
Chicken, Bacon And Sweet Potato Skewers Recipe
Protein: 58g / %
Carbs: 32g / %
Fat: 47g / %
Values are per portion. These are for information only & are not meant to be exact calculations.
- 2 chicken breasts, cut into 1 1/2” chunks
- 2 sweet potatoes, cut into 1 1/2” chunks
- 1 lb. bacon, sliced in half
- 1 1/2 tbsp. olive oil
- 1/4 cup raw honey
- 1/4 tsp. ground cinnamon
- 1/2 tsp. ground allspice
- 1/4 tsp. cayenne pepper
- 1/4 tsp. crushed red pepper flakes
- Sea salt and freshly ground black pepper
- Wood or metal skewers
- Preheat grill to medium heat.
- Bring a saucepan filled with water to a boil, add the sweet potatoes and cook for 4 minutes.
- Cool down the sweet potatoes with cold water.
- In a bowl, combine the olive oil, honey, cinnamon, allspice, cayenne and red pepper, then season to taste.
- Thread the sweet potatoes, bacon and chicken – alternating ingredients on wood or metal skewers.
- Grill the chicken skewers for 8 to 10 minutes, turning frequently, until chicken his cooked through.
- Brush the skewers with the sauce and grill another minute on each side.