Canned tomato sauce is great in a pinch, but making your own gives you so many more opportunities to choose the freshest tomatoes and give them exactly the flavor you want. Cooking the chicken breasts in the tomatoes here lets them soak up all the richness of ripe Roma tomatoes and fresh basil. And it also goes a long way towards preventing dryness, which is always an issue with boneless skinless breasts.
After everything is done cooking, this recipe calls for stirring a little bit of coconut milk into the tomatoes for a creamier texture without any dairy (bonus: it also helps cool things down just a little so you can dive into eating it right away without burning your mouth).
This recipe is Italian enough to serve with an Italian-inspired menu (spaghetti-squash pasta, anyone?), but also basic enough to serve with almost anything else. Try making a double recipe so you’ll have leftovers to freeze or bring for lunch the next day.
Chicken with Garlic Basil Tomato Sauce Recipe
Protein: 58g / %
Carbs: 11g / %
Fat: 17g / %
Values are per portion. These are for information only & are not meant to be exact calculations.
- 4 chicken breasts, boneless and skinless
- 5-6 Roma tomatoes, diced
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- ¼ cup fresh basil, minced
- ¼ cup full-fat coconut milk
- 1 tbsp. dried oregano
- ½ tbsp. garlic powder
- Cooking fat
- Sea salt and freshly ground black pepper
- Preheat oven to 375 F.
- Sprinkle the chicken breasts with oregano, garlic powder, and salt and pepper to taste.
- In a bowl combine the diced tomatoes, basil, garlic, and salt and pepper to taste.
- Heat the cooking fat in a oven-proof skillet, and brown the chicken on each side for 2 to 3 minutes.
- Remove chicken from skillet and pour in the tomato mixture.
- Simmer the tomatoes for 5 to 6 minutes over medium heat, stirring constantly.
- Return the chicken to the skillet. Transfer to the oven and bake for 20 to 25 minutes, or until chicken is cooked through.
- While the chicken is cooking, baste with the tomato mixture every 10 minutes.
- Remove from the oven once cooked and add the coconut milk to the tomato sauce, stirring until well combined.
- Serve chicken topped with the tomato sauce.