Barbecue chicken skewers are a classic summer protein, and adding a little bit of bacon to the spicy coating gives them a big punch of extra flavor – just try it! Between the bacon, the BBQ sauce, and the two different kinds of paprika, this is one chicken breast recipe that certainly won’t be boring.
To go with your skewers is a simple leafy salad, with chunky apple slices, crunchy walnuts, and tart cranberries to keep it interesting and add some oomph so that the chicken doesn’t totally overwhelm the greens. It’s a classic combination that goes well with just about everything, and adding a little apple juice to the dressing gives you just a little bit of extra sweetness in the salad as a whole, without having to fiddle with more intense sweeteners like honey.
As well as making a tasty dinner, this would be a great recipe for throwing some extra chicken skewers on the grill to make lunch leftovers. You could even buy a bag or two of spare greens while you’re shopping; then you’d have almost everything you need for a couple quick and easy lunchtime salads on the go.
Chicken Kebabs With Apple Cranberry Salad Recipe
Protein: 90g / %
Carbs: 68g / %
Fat: 59g / %
Values are per portion. These are for information only & are not meant to be exact calculations.
- 2 lbs. chicken breasts, boneless, skinless, cut into cubes
- 1 ½ tsp. paprika
- 2 tsp. smoked paprika
- 2 to 3 raw bacon slices, cut into pieces
- 1 cup homemade BBQ sauce
Apple Cranberry Salad
- 6 cups mixed greens
- 2 apples, sliced
- 1 cup. walnuts, roughly chopped
- ⅓ cup dried cranberries
- 1 cup. apple juice
- 4 tbsp. apple cider vinegar
- ¼ cup oil
- Sea salt and freshly ground black pepper
- Preheat your grill to medium-high.
- Place the bacon, paprika, and smoked paprika in a food processor, and pulse until you get a smooth paste.
- In a bowl, combine the chicken cubes with the bacon paste and mix until well coated.
- Grill the chicken over your preheated grill, turning every 2 to 3 minutes, until browned, about 8 to 10 minutes total.
- Brush the kebabs with BBQ sauce and cook another minute on all sides, remove and set aside.
- In a bowl, combine the apple juice, vinegar, oil, and season with salt and pepper to taste.
- Toss the mixed greens, apple slices, cranberries, and walnuts in a salad bowl.
- Drizzle the dressing over the salad, and serve with the chicken kebabs.